Just bought Canon 40D with 135mm lens - Am In an idiot?

ryan_a

Coming from a sony cybershot, this is my first SLR. And it was a total impulse buy.

I just came back from a trip from the pacific northwest and realized that all my

pictures are blurry garbage.

I didn't even research--just read one review on dpreview and ordered

online...Did I overshoot my needs? Did I make a good choice or get an in-between

model with no real technology improvements, or did I order the next big thing?

Don't be discouraged. It takes awhile to get used to more complicated equipment, but you will be thrilled in the long run at the quality of your captures. You can't go wrong with Canon. Read the manuals, and then read them again. Take pictures of everything. Dream of your next purchase! Have fun.

<P><i>I just came back from a trip from the pacific northwest and realized that all my pictures are blurry garbage.</i></P>

<P></P>

<P>You need to identify WHY your photos are "blurry garbage". You don't say which 135mm lens, but a Canon 40D should produce good results with Canon's 28-135 consumer zoom, and fantastic results with the 135 f/2L.</P>

<P></P>

<P>Are your shots blurry due to misfocus, hand shake/slow shutter speeds, DoF (i.e. one distance is in focus, the rest blurred)?</P>

<P></P>

<P>Do you just think they're blurry because you're viewing them 100% in Photoshop and you haven't applied any sharpening yet?</P>

<P></P>

<P>Can you post some examples so that people here with more experience can evaluate and help you out?</P>

You need to be steady with a long focus (telephoto) lens. The tripod idea is a good one as is learning how to properly brace the camera. BTW, you didn't say what shutter speed you were using, but the general rule is 1-2 times the focal length for any hand held shots.

Don't forget to multiple by 1.6 when determining min speed to shoot at. So you should shoot hand held at a speed of 1/250 sec or faster with a 135 lens. Probably 1/500 sec should give no blur due to hand shake, if your technique is halfway decent. Also, this assumes no IS for the 135 lens.

Ryan is probably talking about the kit 28-135 IS lens that is kitted with the 40D.

You made a pretty good choice. What might have happened is that you were using Live view and the 40D doesn't have autofocus in live view mode. Which may result in blurry pictures.

A remote possibility is that your camera is just plain broken.

Ryan,

The 40D is an excellent semi-professional "prosumer" camera, with virtually unlimited potential - so please don't have any regrets in that department!

If you'd like to post your future questions on the Canon EOS forum you'll be able to get specific help from many fellow 40D users along with many who have had many many years of Canon Digital SLR experience.

Cheers,

Colin

Remember the old saying "A poor workman blames his tools" and examin how you used the camera to produce those results. But you do have my sympathy becuase it is dreadful experience for you.

In addition to the camera you also need a good editing programme now you have stepped up from digicam to do the post processing instead of relying on "walmart". That is another learning curve I'm afraid. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...