R2400 PK/MK swap - just how much ink is wasted?

I'm the very happy owner of a new R2400. For the first couple of weeks I

printed exclusively on matte papers since that is what I've preferred in the

past. But then I decided I wanted to try the new F-type glossies (Silver Rag,

Harman FB, Innova Ultra Smooth, etc.) and it turns out I love them too.

Ideally I could print on both glossy & matte papers depending on the image I'm

working with. However, I'm a "starving artist" and can't afford to spend a lot

of $$ on ink cartridges. I've heard so much about the ink wasted when swapping

PK/MK, but I'm wondering if anyone has tested how much ink is actually consumed

in the swap?

I have tried Premier's Platinum Rag, which is a luster paper which uses the MK

cartridge. The results are good, but I find Silver Rag and Harman FB to be much

better.

Thanks,

Chris

To be honest with you, i once use a epson 2200 that look similar..and i just swicth cartridge in need, doing a test print after the change that contain a lot of black..so you loose a page : ) I read somewhere at that time that printing a 8x10 in black only will be more than enough to clean the rest of the black MK or PK..i just print a BW image myself, and keep it as a test.

Chris

I have never found any way around the PK/MK swap. When you do this, the printer purges the ink lines for all the installed cartridges, just the same as if you had changed an empty one. However, here is the trick - it doesn't matter how many carts you change in one go, the purge routine is the same. So, if you time your MK/PK swaps to coincide with an empty cartridge change, and then print on either matt or glossy paper until the next cartridge runs out, you can swap blacks at no additional cost.

John

mmm, im surprise a bit?! i remember i just remove the cartridge, put the new one, flush the driver (on mac if you dont do that the driver will not recognizze the new cartridge) reload the printer and voila...1 min, no purge, a test print and i was ready to go.

maybe that was a not good method to change my K...but i dont recall my printer purging all my ink?

i live dangerously maybe : )

I've never used a PK ink cart. I standardized on matte surface papers and use the MK black

exclusively. The tiny differences in papers that need the PK seem overwhelmed by the cost of

swapping carts.

Someday I'll fit a PK cart and try some Lustre paper ... ;-)

Godfrey

C.A.,

Thanks for that link. Unless I'm missing something, the amount of ink wasted is not that much. It's hardly noticeable, really, according to the picture. I had the impression it was something like 1/8 or even 1/4 of the total capacity... but it's nowhere near that. I'd say it's more like 5% or perhaps even less. Each notch on the scale is 25%, and it looks like the ink level dropped less than 1/5th of a notch after the switch, so that tells me it's 5% or less.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to switch cartridges every day, but I don't think I'm going to worry about doing it every now and then - especially since there are so many wonderful matte and glossy papers to enjoy now.

John, I like your idea of waiting until one of the cartridges runs out to swap MK and PK. I may shoot for that, but if I have to print a series of images that demand matte paper and PK is installed, I don't think I'll have qualms about swapping.

Chris

Brad,

Actually, when I have PK installed those are exactly the two papers I'm using - Silver Rag & Harman FB. Nevertheless, there are images that I prefer to print on matte papers like Photo Rag, William Turner, Harman Matte & Velvet Fine Art. (Incidentally I look forward to trying Hahnemuhle's new Bamboo paper).

Yes, that is correct. The amount of ink used for any cartridge change or cartridge swap is around 3-4% of every cartridge installed. As you have 8 installed cartridges, that is 4x8 = 24% of one cartridge. Here in the UK, a 2400 cartridge is around 10 GBP, so the MK/PK swap costs you 2.50 GBP (around 5 USD). So if you swap to MK and back to PK in one evening, as you might well wish to, it has just cost you a fiver (GBP) or ten USD. Being thrifty, I tend not to do this too often.

John

Patrick

there are fundamental differences between the Epson 2200 and the R2400. I have tried every method I could think of to fool my R2400 into ignoring the ink swap, including powering down during startup etc etc, but it always knows a cartridge has been changed and runs the purge routine.

John

Patrick

you cannot change cartridges on the R2400 without moving the print heads to the cartridge exchange position. This cannot be done manually because the print head is locked in the park position, power on or power off. Even if you do manage to fool the printer by powering off at the mains when the carriage is moving during the power-up checks, and then move the head manually to the exchange position, the printer still senses that a cartridge change has taken place when you apply power again because it reads up the cartridge chip data. It then runs a purge routine. This is actually all for your own good, because otherwise you run the risk of air bubbles in the print head and dead print nozzles. The only point where we could criticise Epson is that the printer is unable to purge just the print head colour which has been changed, it has to purge all eight. Just be grateful you didn't buy a 4800, where the waste of ink is totally unnaceptable.

John