covering all types and genres, and I would really like to get them exhibited

somewhere.

I know I'm not likely to get in at the Tait, but any small place would do: a

cafe, a shop, anywhere.

If any of you have had your work exhibited, please let me know how you got your

foot in the door.

Cheers.

Asking would be the first step.

I'm a rookie at this too, but a local library will be doing a display of my panos, probably in February 2008.

For me it came together accidentally... I'd done a talk and book signing there on a fatherhood book early in 2007. This past summer, I took a trip down Route 66 with my 12 y/o son. When I told the librarian about it, she asked if I'd like to speak again.

But then when she saw a pano I'd done of the Meteor Crater (see yesterday's thread in Classic Cameras about Widelux FV), we got to talking and she suggested that a series of pano prints would make a great display. She dug out a 110 y/o pano of the town, and I re-shot it with modern gear. One thing led to another.

I'll also have a display of panos and stereo photos in the small town where I live, for our history-oriented Autumn Fest. Blacksmiths, mountain men, Civil War re-enactors, lost arts..... Again, I was asked by somebody that knew me, in this case the owner of Beeker's General Store (Pemberville, Ohio - the store has a website). They carry my book, and have seen my photos, and one thing led to another.

Funny thing is that my book is about motorcycling with my son when he was young; not a photography book. But there's about 50 b/w photos in there, and I guess people are reading it or at least looking at the photos...

Another potential display is a local historical museum. They've asked if I'm interested, but nothing is firmed up at this point.

Couple local labs that do work for me also display some of my stuff now and then. Similar to the above, in that several of the employees have bought and read my book, and know me. One thing leads to another there, too.

You've really just got to talk to people, network. Be gracious, ask questions, get to know people, keep your ears open.

HTH!

I'm headed in the same direction--sort of. I have the advantage of having a watercolorist (sorry, "watercoloUrist") friend to guide me. His method depends largely on shoe leather and schmoozing--at which he's talented and which he enjoys. Get your stuff together, pull together a portfolio and go talk to cafe owners. I don't have any feel for the business end of all this--that is how these deals are structured ask the owners (and the artists.)

I highly recommend Cay Lang's <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Taking-Leap-Building-Career-Visual/dp/0811850935/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-4150350-3113226?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192205930&sr=8-1">Taking the Leap</a> for help getting started. Then, after you've put together a targeted portfolio, just start asking everywhere that shows photos. Always find out who is the person responsible for the exhibition.

All the above advice is great.

I'd just add that it may help to limit what you show, both in the exhibit and in the portfolio, to a theme rather than a variety of subjects and styles. I believe it makes more visual sense both to the person considering exhibiting your work and to the ultimate audience.

Dave the DJ - if curious here's the URL of the pic that caught the librarian's eye while discussing Route 66 talk:

http://www.photo.net/bboard-uploads/00MuRe-39070884.jpg

I guess one lesson to draw would be to have something that will really grab the listener - except that you won't know going in just what image that might bet.

Good luck!

Local Library is the best place to start. If you agree to mount the exhibit, and do all the work, they are always looking for something to fill the walls. If you wanted to make it exclusive, ask if you can plan a meet the artist day, and you provide refreshments and meet people. That may open other doors. The suggestion about limiting to a style is very good advice. If the library has multiple rooms, you might change the focus by room if you have enough of each to present a focused presentation in each. I have a friend who photographs dead trees. He has done that for 20 years, and never fails to amaze me with the variety.

Although he's talking about the library, Ken raises a good point relating to cafes, restaurants and pubs: the main thing the owner is looking for is traffic. You need to have an opening and get all your mates to stop by. If you demonstrate that having your work shown will get people in the door and put cash in the drawer, you can put your kid's crayon work on the wall for all they care.

First I would find a place, not just anyplace, that you would like to see your work. Find out

who is the person to talk to, make an appointment if they do not want to see your work

ask when they might be interested and then go on to the next place on your list. Bring a

sample of your work or a portfolio. Dress nicely, be polite and listen to what they may be

looking for. This will take you a long way.