Theft protection for DSLR

walterh

Hello I need to secure a D200. The camera is attached to an instrument and the

tripod mount is accessible as are all sides except the lens mount. I though

about a flash bracket with a lockable cover over the connecting screw. Our

workshop is quite capable to built something like that but if that is available

already I would appreciate a hint. Thanks. Walter

How secure, and how removable, does the solution need to be?

Could you glue an eye bolt (using red loc-tite, perhaps) into the tripod socket and secure it with a cable? The cable could be cut, of course...

But I think any non-cable solution is hard to imagine without a picture.

How about an underwaterhousing, some type of lock to keep it sealed andthen that chained or locked to something. Problem being, like in New York wheer bike messengers ride high end bikes dn ahve really good locks, the thiefs are using liquid nitrogen to freez the lock and then hammer it til it shatters. Build a better mousetrap, and the mice get bigger.

Steve

Studio Photogs I know take their camers home.

Hasselblad used to have a tripod quick release that is lockable. Then you had to take the whole tripod or camera stand.

The Hassy one might still be available and adaptable.

A Bogen quick release and make some kind of lock so it can not be released without a key or special pin.

The easiest thing to do is to remove the camera and place it in a locked cabinet when no one is in attendance. If you must leave the camera unattended, then consider the following.

Get a round-head or conveyor-head 1/4-20 x 3/8" cap screw with an Allen or Torx socket. Use this screw to attach the camera via the tripod socket to a bracket or piece of aircraft cable with a crimped eyelet. Fill the socket head with epoxy to secure it from casual tampering. Drill out the epoxy if you need to remove the camera for some reason.

If your intention is to keep "honest people honest", then a cable should be fine but it will be useless to a thief with a pair of snips that are small enough to fit into your pocket. Ive cut through 13mm bike cable locks in less than a minute.

And I'm not even a thief.

If the instrument is attached to the body via the lens mount, then all you really need to do is block access to the lens mount release button, right?

Some kind of u-luck that blocks access to that button should work. Or some kind of lockbox that encompasses the camera body and blocks access to the lens mount button.

Or, depending on the size of the instrument attached to the camera, why not just get a Pacsafe protector?

Thanks a lot for so many suggestions. I knew it would be wise not to mention exactly where the D200 sits .-P

Off hand I like the idea to block the access to the bajonet mount best because it only requires a slim simple tube. Seems elegant too. I let you know about the outcome.

Cheers

Walter