Can't open D50 files in Photoshop CS - have tried several solutions already...

brooks_lester

I just got CS and it won't open my D50 NEF's. The Camera Raw plug-in that is shipped with does not

recognize D50 NEF'S.

I looked on this board and saw similar posts with several responses suggesting loading in plug-ins

Camera Raw 2.3 or 3.4. I have loaded in 2.3, 2.4, 3.3 and 3.4, and none of them will open my NEF's in

Photoshop CS. What do I need to do to use this feature?

I have Elements 3.0 and can open NEF files in its RAW version 3.3 but I need to do this in CS.

Thanks

Brooks -

What version of CS are you using? Older versions of CS may not support the Raw Converter needed for D50 files.

I believe that CS3 ships with Camera Raw 4.x and that should handle a D50's raw files.

You might try backing up the camera raw file that came with cs (in the Program Files\Adobe\CS\Plug-ins folder) then copying (not moving) your Elements Raw Plug-in over to the CS Plug-ins folder.

Never understood why people would open raw files in any version of Photoshop, given that there are many independent RAW converters out there. Try Bibble, to name just an example (www.bibblelabs.com for a free 14 days trial). It deals with any digital raw file and is constantly being updated top handle new cameras, at no additional cost. Thus, there is no need to plunk down all the money for "upgrading" a perfectly functional PS version just to allow it to read raw files from a newer camera.

You CAN INDEED open a D50 NEF in PS CS. I do it all the time. There's a plug-in in my Adobe

Photoshop CS Plug-ins folder, in the Photoshop Only folder, called "Nikon NEF LE Plugin". The

latest ACR might NOT work, although you can download a converter, too. I find the converter

annoying usually, so I open straight into PS, especially for Quick and Dirty stuff.

Your CD might not have installed it automatically, you might need to go manual, but I assure

you, I open NEFS from my D50 in CS. It can be done.

Before Lightroom, I just opened the NEF files in Photoshop with the plug-in that came with Nikon View. Never had any trouble with that. But I believe you have to install NV <b>*after*</b> installing ACR, otherwise PS would convert with ACR (which it can't) rather than with NV.