Hints on Using a Mamiya 645

bob_camarena

I borrowed a Mamiya 645E with an 80mm f/2.8 Mamiya Sekor lens from school to use

for a couple of weeks. I'm an experienced Nikon SLR film and digital shooter

but this will be my first foray into medium format. I'll be shooting B&W.

Any hints on using the Mamiya, things to not forget, things to watch out for,

metering quirks, etc? With my 35mm and digital SLRs I usually shoot aperture

preferred and bracket. Is the 645E's meter effective when used in this manner?

I have a 645 as well, and I often shoot aperture priority. Be careful of the shutter speed, I use a tripod for anything slower than about 1/80th of a sec. In fact most of the time I'll go to the tripod anytime my shutter speed drops below 1/125th. Also use the data feature so later when you analyze your bracketed shots you know which exposures got you the best images.

I have that same camera. A tripod is very useful for the lower shutter speeds, but I have carried it around for street photography, and it's great. I usually use it on Aperture Priority. What is very useful is to have a second film insert or even three, that way you aren't reloading all the time if you are doing a lot of shooting. You will also be surprised that you get 15 images per roll of 120, not 16 like with other cameras that have a red window for indicating the exposure number. On the other hand, if you have a 220 insert, it's really great if you find 220 film, so you'll end up with 30 exposures/roll.

It's not the most ergonomic camera, as square boxy cameras lend themselves better to a waist-level viewfinder, and since it's not square format, you have to reorient it for vertical shots. But, after you get used to it, it's not so bad.

If you set the shutter speed to 1/1000th, you should be able to hand hold the camera and get some action shots. However, this camera is more well suited for contemplation. If you don't have an AE finder, get yourself a good light meter and think before you hit that shutter. Hey, Ansel Adams made a living out of contemplative photography.

Hi, I have the 645E and it works great on auto exposure, but not if you are using mirror-lock-up. There is a AEL (autoexposure lock) mode, but I believe you have to keep your finger on it to hold the reading. Not easy to do when locking up the mirror. So, shoot manual on tripod with mirror lock.

I can handhold this camera often to 1/30th second - depends on what type of picture. Also, the adjustable diopter is great for accurate focusing. If the shutter locks up, the battery is probably low. My cameras never give low battery warning, for some reason. Many of the pics in my gallery were taken with this camera with various lenses.

Good luck!

Jon

That's a great area for playing with a 645 camera. Make sure to get all the way out to Bodega Head--some great shots & worth braving the weather.

One thing that tripped me up the first couple of times is remember to remove the dark slide! Several cases of "why won't the friggin' shutter release?! ...DOH!" before I'd remember each time I swapped backs.

The ergonomics are a bit odd, but the camera isn't much different in size & weight from a gripped DSLR with fast midrange zoom. (i.e, My gripped 20D & 24-70/2.8 is about the same overall size & heavier than my 645Pro & 80mm lens. I use a separate meter, so cannot comment on the E's one.

Watch the depth of field - you'll find it significantly different than 35mm. You can use the AE prism in a manual mode - set the shutter speed and the reading blinking inside will be the aperture the prism will set - adjust the aperture or shutter speed until they match. Or the steady one is the setting you want and the blinking one is your current setting, I forget.

Fun camera.