mj_gilmartin

A recent burst of activity from Canon saw introduction of 1D Mark III, 1Ds Mark

III and the EOS 40D.......... I am wondering if there have been any hints of an

upgrade/replacement for the EOS 5D

It is now two years since the launch of the 5D, a long time with the speed of

change in this field.

The 5D or its replacment is the intended replacement for my venerable 10D

Miles

The 5D was announced at the same time as the 1DmkII, so lots of people are expecting a 5DII with 1DIII pixel and circuit technologies real soon now.

Of course, Canon may have decided that three new dSLRs is enough for (or all they can afford to do in) one year. And besides, the 5D's pretty amazing as is.

Or perhaps it's that the 5D was released a year after the 1DsII, and that Canon's idea is to similarly give the 1DsIII a year before competing with it.

Bottom line: no one knows.

Thanks Ron for the link to the article on Bob Atkins site

In the absence of any rumours or leaks from the company, I would say Bob's conjecture is as good as you would get.

Mind you, it is difficult to see Canon waiting until Sept '08. That would have the current version of 5D over 3 years when replaced.

I am hopeing soon... if not this fall, then early '08

Well, it took Canon 3 years to upgrade the 1Ds MkII, though it had no real competion during that period (September 04 to September 07). The 5D was announced in August 05, so August 08 would be 3 years.

Canon have to decide whether to announce both a new Digital Rebel and a new 5D in the Spring at PMA, because if they do they'll have nothing to announce at the big International Photokina show in the fall (unless they come out with an entirely new EOS body, which I suppose is possible but unlikely).

So I wouldn't say ALL indicators point to 1Q 2008. Some certainly do. If Sony come out with a couple of new cameras soon (and the rumors are they will and one may have a sensor larger than APS-C), that could move Canon's schedule up a bit.

I don't see the D3 as a competitor since it's almost twice the cost.

Hot rumor!

It is speculated that the Canon 3D full-sensor 16.6 MP camera will be announced in August 2008.

It is also speculated that the Canon 50D with 14.2 MP will be announced in August 2010.

It's so hard to keep ahead of these things ;)

Bob,

You state on the reference made above:

http://bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_eos_5d_mkII_4D_6D.html

That Sony makes the CMOS Sensor for the D3. All I have read is that Nikon designed that sensor and there's an "undisclosed" partner manufacturing it. I agree with you that the undisclosed partner could very well be Nosy (I mean Sony)... But do you have any evidence to that matter?

Thanks!

Ignacio