Efke25 in D76

I am given D76 developer in the photo club which I'm a member of. I wouldn't

really want to buy another developer unless I have a really good reason to.

How would you develop efke25 in D76?

I'd like to keep the rating at ISO25 or lower it to ISO12.

What's would you recommend as the "best" dilution and time?

Thanks

I've used D76 1:1 for 7.5 minutes at 68 F and gotten good results. It's been a while since I used this film and I've only used it in medium format. It's a good idea to bracket exposures for both EI 25 and EI 50. I don't remember specifics but I sort of remember that EI 25 is for artifical light and EI 50 is for daylight exposures. Efke 25 has a lovely tonality but the film I've used had numerous pinholes and foreign matter spots throughout. The apparent inconsistent quality control makes me hesitate to use this film.

Michael - did you use 1:1 dilution of D76?

Arjun - this is the only ISO25 I found in rolls, but BH has rollei ISO25, but it's not cheap. I wanted something to use with my Olympus RF with 1/500 shutter in the sun and NOT stop down the lens completely.

EDIT: I lied. Rollei is also available in rolls. I would've ordered it instead if I knew... :(

I'll post a couple pictures in two weeks, but I would only be able to report on any obvious defects like streaking, debris or pinholes as Lee Shively mentions. I never used an ISO25 film before, so I can't really compare... plus I'm using club chemicals which may be inconsistent and print my BW stuff with really high contrast.

Lee Shively - is the rating difference due to inside light being more red and the non panchromatic film being more sensitive to blue?

I've used Efke 25 in 35mm and medium format. D-76 straight will give you really nice negs as long as you've properly exposed your shots. I always pre-soak this and have never had issues with curling and inconsistent quality control.

Since you're using such a fine grained film, you could also develop this in Rodinal for better tonality, enhanced sharpness and better contrast seperation.

Remember that Efke 25 and Efke 50 are orthopanchromatic films, so they'll be less sensitive to red light and more sensitive to blue, which will render your grays slightly differently than you're used to. This film also has more contrast.

Rollei does make two ASA 25 emulsions, but they are pricier than the Efke 25. There's Rollei Pan 25 (panchromatic) and Rollei Ortho 25 (orthochromatic)