Best Website hosting/server

alex_diaz

I was wondering what, in your experience, has proven to be the best place to go

to get a domain name and set up a website/online portfolio. I am looking for a

place to put up my concert photography photos. I don't really make money with

photography at this point so I can't afford anything super pricey. Any Advice

will be helpful. Thanks.

I've been playing around with FolioLink for the past few days and am happy - will probably be converting over to a paid customer in the next few days (they give you a week to try out the service for free). Site address is www.foliolink.com. Site design is super easy and they can take care of your domain registration needs and such as well....although, you can probably register a domain through GoDaddy for cheaper. FolioLink handles hosting too.

Hi Alex, a company that is coming out that will have hosting and beautiful flash template (fully editable) services is portfoliositez.com. It would be $10/mo. Some other great website companies are bigfolio.com, flashpalette.com, and winklet. Cheap hosting for these companies can be found at bluehost.com for $6.95/mo. They have had stellar uptime and customer service so far for my sites. If you are looking for the cheapest domain registration you can find it at godaddy.com for $8.95/yr.

<p>There are many options available for web hosting. Some are free. For example, there is a company called ProImageGuide. They offer a free photography website for 90 days. The site is fully operational and very flexible. Taking advantage of their free offer provides you a good, practical skill-building education. Just using the site for a couple of weeks gives you a pretty good feel for building and managing a photography website. Also, using this type of free website will spark some ideas on how to display your work. For example, you can set up galleries. </p>

<p>You may decide to do more than just display your photography. </p>

<p>I have a number of photography websites. One low-end web hosting service (that I recommend and use) that offers a lot of features and options is VodaHost gallery/photography portal website using their services, if you want to take a look.</p>

<p>I hope this is helpful.</p>

this is what I did. I registered a "dot com" domain name at GoDaddy for five years at a very reasonable cost. I also provided for some extra email accounts with them, though you do get one at no extra cost when you register a domain. <br><br>

I transfered the domain name from <i>Godaddy</i> to <i>ifp3</i> because I wanted the URL to be a simple YarmouthLane dot com and not YarmouthLane dot ifp3.com, but this is just a judgement call. I signed for a year of service with them.<br><br>

The type of web page that <i>ifp3</i> provides is rather interesting. It is a Flash site with a very modern, streamlined look. It loads very quickly on my connection, a Road Runner cable modem. They provide a lot of flexibility with regards to customizing the overall look. One feature that was important to me was a PayPal shopping cart; they provide for that. The support and feedback services are excellent! A fellow called Hugh is in charge of the help desk and he is really quick to respond to any questions or problems. They bring out new upgrades and features every now and then. <br><br>

The site adminstration is menu driven and is also very good. They provide menus for site statistics and also for search engine optimization. I have not had any problems with down time. <br><br>

I think if you are looking for a quick way to get a foothold on the web that this would be a good candidate to consider. Regards.

Has anyone put together their website using Lightroom? Seems that would be the cheapest way and not be obligated to a company for a monthly fee.

When I put the Lightroom Gallery in Frontpage 2002 and went to its HTML it showed a index page as part of the directory which would enable a link to trigger a gallery and the flash display of the photos.

Also do we assume that everyone has flash now? There was a time that it wasn't true.

Larry Moore

I must say that I'm happy with my present server. User friendly and affordable. They even have a free trial period, which helps. They are www.bigblackbag.com. If you sign up, leave 'em my name and I'll save $25. I actually did this for someone on photo.net a couple of years ago. Even if not, it is worth the time to check them out. They have plenty of examples and they always open a new page from any link, including mine www.ethridgephotography.com. This and many features of their's are very nice, as your client never loses your page.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Joe

The site I use is Smugmug.com They allow ulimited storage and batch uploads. They have diffent levels of membership that will fit your business. I set my own prices and smugmug takes the orders, accepts credit cards, prints the order, and ships to the buyer. For their service smugmug retains 15% and mails you a check. I do high school sports/events, club sports, and portraits. This is a hobby for me...I don't make a living at it but it is enough to pay for a good portion of my equipment. They let you sign up for a full featured trial account for 7 days so you can test drive it for free. If you use the following code when you sign up they will take $5 off your membership no matter what level you choose. Qj2D7W0vzU3ys Best of luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.I'm new about these things of web hostings,site builders etc.

I would like to have my own photo site,where i can show my photos just for pleasure.I do not want a minimal site but one where i can put an intro mp3 sound and things like that.(sorry about my english).I read at some Top Ten Reviews,about BlueHost,HostMonster,LunarPages and Globat.No one refers these Web Hosting sites.It's better for Photo one dedicated or not.I do not want to pay a fortune but more or less $70/$100 year.May you help me to start a photo web site,please.