software for editing RAW images

Sorry if this is an oft repeated question but the other posts I saw were made

by people who had at least some experience with editing RAW images.

I shot some RAW images of friends with my Canon Rebel XTi in an incandescent

bulb lit drawing room.

I do not as of yet have any application to edit RAW images nor have I ever

edited such before. All I have is photoshop 7 on my comp.

I would appreciate advice re softwares that would work well to edits RAWs. I

have a modest budget.

Thanks!

Manasi :)

don't the canon cameras come with a free raw converter?

<br><br>

not sure how modest your budget is, but i've been more than happy with bibble (bibblelabs.com), and for what it does (save plenty of time), i didn't find it expensive. i'm also happy with dxo (dxo.com), but it's more expensive (and slower, on my dinosaur computer).

<br><br>

best of luck to you...

There is indeed a software with Canon that allows me to batch process the RAW files.

Is there an intermediate process where I can save them as jpegs that are easy to email? They don't open with photoshop so I'm unsure of how to turn them into something that's easy to view on other peoples' computers.

Thanks.

Manasi: When using Digital Photo Professional (DPP) you use the "Convert and Save" menu option to save the image as a JPG. You can also convert several at once using the Batch Process option. When you convert the image to a JPG you can resize it to any side that you would like for emailing.

How does free sound? What used to be Pixmantic Rawshooter was subsumed during this past year by Adobe Lightroom. But the Rawshooter Essentials 2006 program is still available as a free download at Cnet's download.com. If you do a search for Rawshooter 2006, it will find the download page.

I've been using RSE with PS7 since it was first made available, and am still using the 2005 version. It's a very capable conversion program that dies far more than I would ever have expected. The built in help explains the basics, and You can pick up most of it just by fiddling with the various controls.

I downloaded Bibble just to try it out since it gets recommended here sometimes. I found it to be an excellent program, and since it has a mode where it can function as a plug-in to Photoshop, more useful than programs that have to run external to Photoshop. Unfortunately, two of the four digital cameras I have are not supported by Bibble because they don't support the generic DNG format. Lots of applications do, Bibble has all these convoluted reasons why they don't, and they lost my purchase because of it.