SNAKES!

derek_thornton

I thought that would get your attention.

I have a little story I want to share with you. 2 weekends ago I took my last

trip of the year to my favorite spot. Last trip thanks to hunting season. So I

am wading through the swamp looking for photo subjects. I ended up having a

real good weekend. I photographed many species of dragonflies and lots of

snakes. 38 snakes in a day and a half period, tying my personal record set in

Anyway, as I was scoping out Wambaw Swamp from the bridge, I noticed a very

pretty Anole. I squated down and snaped some shots. I noticed some movement out

of the corner of my eye and saw what appeared to be the head of a Cottonmouth.

I backed up and leaned down to look and sure enough, there was a Cottonmouth

coiled between the concrete and gaurd rail of the bridge. What makes this story

so significant is the fact that my knee cap was about 2" from his face. A

Cottonmouth is a pit viper, that heat sensitive pit can detect a hundreth of a

degree change in temperature. Even though it was fairly hot that day he no

doubt sensed my presence. I should have been on my way to the hospital, but

instead I finished my day in the swamp.

Two lessons learned, 1) Always check your surroundings, even bridges! 2) When

it comes to snakes people are so full of BS. Snakes seem to bring out the liar

in all of you. You, not us, I have never lied about snakes. This snake should

have bit me. Part of me thinks I was lucky, really I was not lucky. He was just

hoping I would leave without noticing. It makes me wonder how many snakes I

have been beside without even knowing they were there.

"Snakes seem to bring out the liar in all of you"

That's not nice. As far as I know I've never lied about a snake. In fact, I dare say that you

lied about this snake, maybe your first lie about snakes.

When you say say that it SHOULD have bit you, you lied. It COULD have bit you, but was

under no obligation to do so, as the definition of the word "should" would suggest. Using

that word made your story more exciting though, so you justified the lie.

Of course I'm just kidding, but your blanket statement made me do it.

Nice pic. How far away were you when you shot it?

Peter

Peter, I was just being sarcastic in a funny sort of way. This is a nature forum and I imagine everone here likes snakes and those who dont respect them.

The whole reason it came out is because my mother told me a story that her friend told her about a boy who lost his life while watersking in Lake Cumberland Kentucky. You know the story about the waterskier who falls into a nest of cottonmouths. This person is bitten multiple times and when they pull him out he still has snakes dangling from his body. This same thing has happened on every lake in the US.

I wanted to tell my mother that the person was lying because cottonmouths are only found in the western part of Kentucky, the Mississippi floodplain. Lake Cumberland is about 350 miles out of their range. No sense in going there with that. So, I kinda take out my frustration here. You know if the cottonmouth is as nasty and mean as people say why did this snake not bite me?

I am not referring to you people as "liars" either. You can not edit post here!

Thanks for the compliment, I did not like the pic. I just took it to show its place on the bridge to back another snake story. True story.

I grew up on a farm in Missouri where poisonous snakes (we had three kinds) were routinely killed on sight. Despite that, as an adult I came to appreciate them. I leave them alone, they leave me alone. While I will carefully move one to another location if found in an immediate area with children, I can't recall the last time I've harmed a snake of any kind. I can think of a couple of reasons the snake did not bite. One is it obviously never felt threatened, and the second is maybe it felt more protected where it was and didn't want to expose itself. At any rate, if you were two inches away, my thinking is you were lucky more than anything. Don't push it. Ever see the show on cable TV of Austin Powers, the snake photographer guy? He has sometimes hot dogged a little, and has been bit twice while taking photos. Once by a cobra. Don't be like him.

Kent in SD

I would not trade the all the snakes in the West for a handful of Eastern Vipers or the like,

at least the rattlesnakes lets you know what's up (sidewinders are a different issue!), many

times near Death Valley N.P. and Yosemite I have somehow attracted snakes when I set up

my tripod. Luckily for them I'm not interested in photographing snakes, I just want my

grand scenics, so they usually bugger off, looking for something else to bother..

<i> at least the rattlesnakes lets you know what's up (sidewinders are a different issue!)

</i><P>

Sidewinders <B>are</b> rattlesnakes. Rather small ones, but rattlesnakes nonetheless.

Fatalities from bites by any North American pit-viper (cottonmouth, copperhead, or any of

the numerous rattlesnake species) are quite rare, but especially so for sidewinders.

Mark

when I said "sidewinders are a different issue", I didn't say they weren't a rattlesnake, but

since you have been around them, then you would know that they don't coil or rattle like

most of the other rattlesnakes do, thus not warning you of their presence!, which is why I

don't care for Eastern Vipers either, I could really care less about statistics when I'm face to

face with one. The only ones I worry about out here where I live (near Death Valley) is the

Red or Green Mohave's, they coil and rattle for about two minutes, then typically they

uncoil and start looking for the intruder, before you know it they right beside you again. I

really only see them and any other snake in May, or September (summer being to hot out

here for them in the daytime)

Had a Mohave? hanging out on the back 40 yesterday. Checking out the chipmunks and our chicks in the coop.

Kind of aggressive, moved toward me when I walked toward it. Not sure why? I talked to him a bit and he soon realized I was much too big to eat. Move along.<div>00MEec-37951684.jpg.1abe95fd9d1c3cdd8081089675c312f2.jpg</div>

that's a good looking snake JD, should try and keep it for a pet. I'm not sure why the

Mohave's are so aggressive either, but It's something I keep in mind, out here we had to

move a 5 footer away from the town dumpters, not an easy task, I should change my

remark about not seeing them in the summer, it seems lately with the clouds in the sky

from the monsoonal moisture, they have (all snakes) been out in the daylight more,

something I need to keep in mind everytime I head out the door, still I'd rather it be them

than a Viper hidden under some foliage in the East.

Good point. The monsoon is going full bloom here. Nice, cool afternoons; almost cold evenings. Snakes can neither warm or cool themselves biologically like we can, they definitely avoid a blazing sun. The clouds have made all the critters active during the day at my homestead.

Here is a picture of a monsoon storm that moved through tonight...

http://www.photo.net/bboard/nw-fetch-msg?msg_id=00MEcZ

What species of cottonmouth is this anyway? I'm looking for a slit pupil, pit, triangular head, and cottonmouth markings which are the same as one of the harmless water snakes. I don't see these although they may be there. I have been bluffed and charged by several water moccasins, but never bitten. An aquaintance did a dance to shake one off that had latched onto his pants leg. Most poisonous snakes prefer to watch you and avoid being stepped on. It may be folk lore but I have heard that most bites involve young men and alcohol.

RL Potts,

It is the Eastern Cottonmouth (Agkistrodon piscivorus). The slit pupil is there so is the stripe through the eye. Triangular head? All snakes have a triangular head. However, the Cottonmouth has a prominant ridge from tip of nose to eye,giving it a mean look. The pit, I am not seeing it either, I can assure you this is a cottonmouth.<div>00MErQ-37956584.thumb.jpg.b9471d24bacb92661d70e63ba80182ad.jpg</div>

How do you tell the differance between Watersnakes and Cottonmouths? There are many ways.

In the water? Cottonmouths, as heavy as they are float on top of the water, there whole body floats. Watersnakes normally only show head above water. The only time there body comes to the surface is when they are swimming.

Basking in the trees? Watersnakes bask in trees overhanging the water. Cottonmouths rarly bask on limbs. They prefer to bask on the ground, coiled beside a tree or on logs, stumps, they prefer to be close to the ground. I have caugt and seen thousands of cottonmouths and only once have I seen a Cottonmouth basking on a limb, it was a juvinile and the water was about 75 yards away.

Lakes? I have never seen a Cottonmouth in a lake. I have rarly seen them beside swampy areas bordering a lake. Cottonmouths like cypress swamps bordering rivers. They love sloughs, bogs and pine thickets.

Babies? Young cottonmouths have bright, neon green tails that they use to lure frogs and lizards. Baby watersnakes do not have this tail.

Shape of body at mid-section? Watersnakes are round like a hose. Cottonmouths are triangular in shape due to a prominant backbone.

Defenses? Cottonmouths will open there mouth showing white lining, they will vibrate there tail like a rattlesnake. When caught they will musk on you and bite, given the chance. Watersnakes will only musk and bite given the chance.<div>00MEt9-37957784.thumb.jpg.c927e3989ba60e1579360fd01f652029.jpg</div>

<I> you would know that they don't coil or rattle like most of the other rattlesnakes do,

thus not warning you of their presence!,</i><P>

Yes, they do, but being quite small, the rattle is hard to hear. And ANY rattlesnake, if

startled, will bite without rattling.<P>

<I> which is why I don't care for Eastern Vipers either, I could really care less about

statistics

when I'm face to face with one.</i><P>

What 'eastern vipers' are you talking about? There are no 'true' vipers native to North

America,

only pit-vipers. You need to go to Europe, Asia, or Africa to find 'pitless' vipers in the

wild. And yes, some of those are <B>far</b> more dangerous than any North American

snake.<P>

<I>The only ones I worry about out here where I live (near Death Valley) is the Red or

Green Mohave's, </i><p>

Mojave rattlesnakes do occur near Death Valley, but red rattlesnakes (red diamond

rattlesnakes, <I>Crotalus ruber)</i> don't. They're only in extreme southern California

and Mexico.<P>

<i>they coil and rattle for about two minutes, then typically they uncoil and start looking

for the intruder, before you know it they right beside you again.</i><P>

Like Erik, I'd pay to see that.

Derek's observations about the differences between Cottonmouths and Water Snakes are very accurate. We have both Nerodia and Agkistrodon here in central Texas. I was taking some friends from California for a hike along the Pedernales River last spring and was trying to get a closer look at this Nerodia that was swimming on the opposite side of a pool. My friend tossed a small rock into the water near it, trying to get it to move, and it darted into this hole under a boulder. About a second later, the water snake came flying straight back out of the hole like it had been shot out of a cannon. Then, this angry Agkistrodon comes rolling out, looking around and wondering what the hell was going on. Camera in the car, of course...

Erik, in SC Cottonmouths are snake eaters. I have several times found a cottonmouth finishing off a Redbelly, Banded or Brown Watersnake. Your story kinda reminds me of something I saw at Wambaw Swamp Wilderness last year.

I was walking through the swamp and saw a Redbelly Watersnke with his head under a log. I stopped and watched him pull his head out and continue on. He stopped again and stuck his head under another log. Let me say that this was all unfolding in a totally dry Wambaw Swamp. I figured I would go ahead and catch him. When I made my move he was just starting to pull his head out and my movement startled a nearby frog. The Pig Frog jumped right into the path of the snake who quickly grabed the frog. I am standing as still as I can, sweating like crazy and getting tore up by the mosquitos. The snake is just starting to rearrange the crying frog for swallowing. All of a sudden the snake jerks releases the frog and starts flailing about. And then I see a cottonmouth who has grabbed him right above the tail. The cottonmouth hung on to the Redbelly, would not let go and I slowly crept to the safty of a large cypress. From behind the cypress I was able to swat and chew off the nagging skeeters and able to watch the cottonmouth eat the rather large Redbelly. It took a little less than a half hour, whole time I was waiting for a Red Shoulder Hawk to swoop out of the sky and grab the cottonmouth.

I also did not have my camera, at that time I did not even own a camera and had only used one a couple of times. It was that event that caused me to get into photography.

This is what I love about our eastern Ontario snakes: none of them are poisonous. The only poisonous snake in our province is the Masassauga rattler, which is getting rare, and they're a couple hundred miles northwest of here. I've never seen one. We have black rat snakes, which can grow to be 6 feet long or larger, they're also getting rare. We have northern water snakes, they can get to be 3 feet long, there's half a dozen that patrol our beach and freak people out. On the weekend I was sitting on the deck by the beach with my feet in the water, my father sat next to me, my current boyfriend was sitting on an air mattress in the shallow water about 10 feet away, resting his feet in the sand. One of the snakes came along the edge of the sand towards us, and stopped. I told Dad "Don't move, I want to see the snake", hoping he'd come towards us and go under the deck as usual. As if he'd heard me, the snake did a 90 degree turn and went like a shot under Boyfriend's feet. I thought the man was about to become airborne, I've never seen his feet move so fast. Poor guy, he just doesn't quite share my interest in the wildlife around here.

Derek, you've probably walked past plenty of snakes who were in the mood to just sit there and watch you go by. Most snakes will move when humans come here, to them we're this big lumbering giant, possibly a predator, so they get out of the way. Sometimes they're curious, they feel the vibration of something moving and come closer to get a look. I sometimes drum or tap the ground with my fingers to get garter snakes to come over to me, but once they get close and I move, (as in bringing up the camera to focus on them), they take off. Your snake was probably just dozing in a safe comfortable spot, and although you think he "should" have bitten you, he (she, it) didn't feel provoked, he's just watching you wade by. He's saving his venom for getting a meal.

Rose-Marie

That's interesting, Derek. I never really think of Agkistrodon as snake-eaters, but when big-snake-runs-into-little-snake, anything seems to go. There's a local nature preserve I go to the same Cottonmouth seems to always be hanging around the cypress knees at the water's edge. Nose-down, waiting for a fish or frog to come to the surface, I assume.

What part of Texas are you in? I grew up in Harris Co.(Humble). We found many snakes there. I will never forget the first time I saw a buttermilk racer. It was DOR in my neiborhood, it was the most beautiful color of blue with random creamy white scales. I also caught many snakes in Upsher Co(Gilmer) and spent my high school years in Rockwall. I chased many coachwhips into the acacia trees of the blackland prairie.

I have done my share of snake hunting in Tx.

Rose-Marie B,

Although the Cottonmouth is dangerous, I love them. If I lived in Canada I would have to make long trips to the Carolinas to see them. They are, to me, the most interesting, comical and intellagent snake I have ever had an experiance with. They have behaviors that I have never seen in other snakes, they are even quite social with other cottonmouths and very nomadic. I have found this snake in the pine flatwoods far from water.

I love living in SC, a dangerous animal would never change my mind. Is a matter of fact, when camping in the swamps I worry about people, not critters!