not a camera buff. It is probably fairly old in terms of today's standards. I

have a Tamron Adaptall 2 lens 80-210mm 1:3.8 1:4/210 and Kiron lens 28-105mm

f/3.2-4.5 and Nikon 5005 camera with the lens that came with it (a Sigma Zoom

lens).

All of this equipment is in good condition and used very little. I'm trying to

find out how to figure out what it's worth and then where to sell it. The local

camera shops in my area no longer buy used equipment, and they directed me to

another website that said they wouldn't buy it either, but directed me here. If

anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

eBay

Look up the results of previous auctions. Film cameras aren't worth much these days unless they are something special (which the 5005 isn't) and your lenses are fairly unimpressive zooms.

I actually bought two of the Tamron lens you have (in pretty good condition) and paid about $15 for the pair of them.

You should get around $75 for the whole outfit (body and 3 lenses). I suppose if you were really lucky you might find someone who would pay $100.

If the camera is in mint condition you might find a collector or Nikon afficionado that may be willing to pay you a little more than what Bob mentioned. Although the 5005 was did not stay long on the market and was never very popular.

Kiron made some pretty good lenses back in the days, very sharp equivalent to som Nikon lenses. just last year I was willing to purchase a used Kiron 105mm Macro on ebay, but got out bidded in the last minutes or so. I'm just not too sure about the 80-210mm. A 1:3.8/1:4 210mm sounds pretty good for somebody on a budget !

I think if you make the entire package look very attractive by shinning it up and maybe include some manuals, you might get $150-200 at an outdoor fair, or maybe even on ebay.

<P>It's a shame you're not a camera buff because the equipment list is not bad stuff and you could use it and enjoy it were you that way inclined. But as Bob said the zoom lenses are "unimpressive", meaning they are average quality, commonplace third-party lenses (that means they were not made by the camera maker). The Tamron is that company's economy 80-210 lens and is not bad but there is a ton of them out there. The Adaptall adapter on it may be worth as much as the lens.</P><P>The bottom has dropped out of the market for old film cameras and particularly old third-party lenses. A collector may be interested in the 5005, but I'm not a Nikon buff so I couldn't say how much interest there may be.</P><P>If you really want to/need to sell it, go ahead and be resigned to the fact that it's not worth much today.</P>

Kathy, is there not someone else in the family, or maybe a friend, who is a bit keen on photography and may appreciate it at a present? It seems a shame to part with stuf like that to some unknown person for just a few quid when it was once your father's pride and joy.

Pete is right Kathy I would rather give it away for sentimental reasons rather than try to sell it and get practically nothing for it. I had an old Elan II which was my work-horse for years while I was a student. I gave it plus some old lenses to my little nephew ast year, who is now starting College. He loves it !

"But selling on eBay without feedbacks on your part is very difficult. You will received a lot of response from bogus buyers."

Not for these items. They aren't worth much so nobody is going to try to scam you out of $15 for a lens they wouldn't be able to sell either!

You can always try the photo.net classifieds. They are free and there's a chance someone might be interested.