On a Roll in Tokyo

clive1

Scanning through some not-so-recent negatives, I came across a roll of 36 that seemed to work so well.

For me, some 14 shots that I like from a single roll is a remarkably rare event. Getting it right like this has

been described as "being in the zone." I prefer to call it "on a roll."

Shot in 2003 in Tokyo's Ginza district in the winter, when it is bright and clear but the sun is not so high

in the early afternoon. Olympus OM1, Fuji Neopan 400, 50 mm Zuiko lens (I think). <a href=http://

www.flickr.com/photos/japanscape/sets/72157601206032848/show/>Go here</a>.

That's a completely useless comment, Eugene. To say that many of the pictures would

work better in color is completely meaningless if you don't illustrate either in words or

pcitures how or why that would be the case.

Clive, great pictures! And you're right, getting 14 on a roll of this quality is unusual. Of

course, I recognize that my saying "great pictures" without further explanation is also not

that useful, but at least one has more latitude in making a positive statement, which does

not make one come across as a turd. "Welll, what can I say", indeed.

--Mitch/Potomac, MD

Fine shots, Clive. I think they look very good in b & w.

The phrase "in the zone" is often attributed to one of my boyhood heroes: the late tennis player, historian, and activist Arthur Ashe. In my youth, I was a ballboy for him at an exhibition and he was a delightful guy.

It's happened to me playing tennis, but in recent years, terribly infrequently. Once or twice, I've sensed it while photographing on the street in the short time I've been doing that ... but sadly that sense lasts only until I get back the pictures or see them on the monitor. :)