Getty Accepting Canon 30d, but not 20d Images

drfl

Can a 20D create a 47.5 to 52 MB image? That's the size requirement mentioned in the first line of the submission requirements.

"You have to wonder about their knowledge level, since they refer to all of them as "35mm digital cameras"......."

I think their knowledge level is beyond the vast majority of photographers. Maybe 35mm-based digital cameras would be more accurate, but it easily differentiates between these cameras and the ones based on medium format. After all, isn't a Hasselblad H3 an SLR that is digital?

Maybe they are only listing "current" cameras (though they do list the old 1Ds)? The 1D MkIII isn't on the list either so it hasn't been updated recently.

The 20D and 30D produce essentially identical quality images. Neither of them produces 50MB TIFF files. Since they are both 8MP cameras they both produce 24MB TIFF files at 8-bits per channel, so neither one should qualify! In fact the only camera in the list that will produce a 24-bit TIFF file (8-bits per channel) which is 48MB without upsizing and interpolation is the 1Ds Mk II (and of course the medium format backs).

Makes no sense.

Perhaps it's something to do with the verification / authentication software? Since I don't shoot Canon, I'm not sure if you can verify the images out of a 20d. I know you can on the Mark II / III and believe that you can on the 30d and 5d.

My guess is that Getty has gotten paranoid about edited photos.

I doubt it. The only way you can verify images is by using the DVK-E2 kit which costs around $700. I don't know anyone who shoots news or stock images with one. I'd guess if anyone uses it it would be police photographers.

I believe it can be used with the 20D anyway.

As far as the 48 meg limit, I knew a photographer who submitted to Getty quite a bit that upsized his 1ds photographs to meet the limit. I find it intriguing they use file size as opposed to number of megapixels. He also never understood why they limited like they did. I think he said he couldn't understand why there wasn't some Nikon on there that had more megapixels than some of the other cameras. Come to think of it, the XTi isn't on there and it has more MPs too. Strange.

Actually the TIFF file size (uncompressed) does define the number of pixels.

A 48MB 24-bit *8-bit per color channel) TIFF requires a 16MP sensor.

Beats me why they do it that way.

However since there are now 12MP P&S cameras with tiny little sensors, it's getting hard to define a spec that's meaningful for image size. Much better to have a list of "approved cameras" - if they get it right.

<P>Alamy has the same 48 MB requirement. My guess is that this requirement was set back when most submissions were made by scanning 35 mm transparencies or negatives. With a little allowance for the mount, 48 MB corresponds to about 3400 dpi if my arithmetic is right this morning. This would have eliminated the low end home scanners of the time.

<P>As digital cameras became common, they just kept the same file size requirement and accepted the fact that the images would be upsized. In fact, Alamy openly states that their minimum suggested camera is a 6 megapixel DSLR.

I think it's a requirement typical of the "keep the s@#$ out" way of thinking.

People in the know would simply upsize a 6mp image, save it as a TIF and Getty would accept it. How can they check if the TIF is from an 'approved' camera anyway?

Novices would not even bother. Good for Getty.

"Well, let's use 16-bit per color then. ... so a 8MP sensor will do."

<p>

Yes but Getty specifically say <b>8-bit per color</b>. That's why I did the calculation based on that.

<p>

They are simply behind the times by about 5 years. It's also a CYA measure I'm sure, since unless you have an EOD-1Ds MkII or medium format back, nobody can meet their requirements without upsizing the images, even with their "approved" cameras. So they can reject most images on technical specs if they want to!

The only real reason I mentioned the MPs as a definition is because one of my questions to the Getty-contributing photographer was if he ever cropped down to 8MP, to which he answered he had gone as low as 8 and even as far as 6 on a very few number of items and Getty still accepted them. It seems that as long as they are of the quality they want then my point would be it wouldn't matter what type of camera they came from as long as they were of sufficient quality for most needs. Additionally, this same photographer quite often stiched photographs to create a 32 MP photograph. Now, by my calculation two 10d photographs would consitute a 48MB file.....

• 1 year later...

<p>I did ask back in 2007 and this is the reply I got:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>We really have found the 30D to be much better to the 20D and result in superior quality of images produced. Really we’d have to have a look at the pics you plan on submitting. We have tended not to accept images shot using the 20D camera before and if you plan on submitting images taken on this camera please be aware that they may be rejected. Please see our comparison review of the two cameras below </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Followed by:</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>Report by: Richard Newstead, Digital Editor, Getty Images </strong> <br /> Canon has recently released the Canon EOS 30D, a refined version and replacement to the previously released EOS 20D . <br /> <br /> The camera uses an 8.2 MP CMOS sensor which produces a 23.4Mb Tiff file in 8bit color. The sensor features a built in low-pass filter and infrared filter, which helps to eliminate problematic noise and moiré effects.<br /> <br /> We have recently tested the 30D in various shooting situations and have been pleased with the results we have achieved. The image quality is of a professional standard, producing good detail across the whole frame. The tonal range is very neutral, with an impressive looking color range. Shadow detail was good, although lacked the subtleness of graduation when compared to other, higher pixel count cameras. The files have a very similar look and feel to its bigger brother the 5D, the major difference being the smaller file size. The 30D is a definite improvement over the 20D it has replaced and will be approved for use for Getty Images submissions.<br /> <br /> The camera shoots in Canon's 'CR2' format, which can be processed in all popular RAW processing software including Capture One and Photoshop CS2 (once the latest RAW profile updates have been installed). The camera comes bundled with Canon's 'DPP' RAW software which is adequate for processing, but does not compare with the quality of Capture One for optimum processed files.<br /> <br /> The processed Tiff's at 23.4Mb will need to be resized to 48Mb prior to submission. It should be noted that when some of example files from the 30D were resized they became too soft. I would not recommend cropping any more than 10% of the originally captured frame, as this will reduce the original file size too much, causing problems with softness when re-sized.<br /> <br /> For optimum quality, the lowest ISO setting achievable should be used (ideally below 200iso). High ISO settings can cause excessive digital noise, which can hinder overall image quality, especially within darker areas. As always, good exposures and focus is the key to optimum quality. Please be aware that this camera may not be suitable for low-light conditions. <br>

<strong>Report by: Nick Mullord, Production Manager, Getty Images </strong> <br /> <br /> Initially when preparing this review we felt that this camera would produce very similar results to the 20d - which we have previously not approved. Certainly at this price range we had assumed that its capabilities may be limited. Generally though, this has not proved to be the case. <br /> <br /> The test images shot on the 30D are of a high quality, they appear sharp and color reproduction is excellent. Texture and fine detail are captured exactly and when resized don't display any of the unnatural effects other units have produced. <br /> <br /> The files hold a wide range of tonal values, particularly in the shadow areas where it is possible to access plenty of detail when adjusting the curves in Photoshop. Colors and tones graduated well with no evidence of banding or separation. <br /> <br /> When using this camera, it is advisable to apply minimal sharpening after resizing the image from its converted 23Mb file size as interpolation tends to make images soft when enlarged. This should be done in Photoshop using the amounts advised in the digital training resource section of the contributor's website. <br /> <br /> Whilst no significant issues were apparent in the images shot for this review, adhering to advice given about exposure and ISO settings will be necessary for successful results. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Personally, I disagree with the assessment that the 20D is inferior to the 30D as there is no clear technology upgrade as evidenced by the reviews on dpreview. <br>

<br /> </p>