Man I must have made someone mad

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Pete: to me too much of the bee is out of focus, only the middle part where the wing is attached + the legs are in focus. This is one of 3 distracting elements I can see - the other two are the burned-out highlights and big spots in the background. Only my opinion:)

Harry, that's a good point about the originality ratings and is something I always think about. Often I will rate low on originality but that doesn't mean I don't like the photo, and so I rate higher on the aesthetics. Then of course there's the opposite - some photos are highly original but are not aesthetically pleasing. Then of course some photos are perhaps technically poor images, but they still look fantastic and I would rate them highly too from the aesthetic viewpoint.

Problems are really that some people rate photos without even looking at them, some rate after inspecting the most minute of technical details, and some rate properly by considering originality and aesthetic appeal.

And as you say - how original can it be? And even if it can't be original it can still be pleasing to look at. 85% of the portraits, landscapes, and whatever are completely un-original so should be rate average or lower there, but many are still beautiful to look at so should be rated higher on aesthetic. for some reason, people seem to be rating as it originality and aesthetics scores have to be within one point of each other.

The attachment is better and if it is possible to clone away the leftover highlights and reflections it would look even better. The burned-out highlights don`t work with images like these, I think - and should be avoided. This means one has to master the manual use of f/stops and shutterspeeds - that should be easy to learn:)

<i> Then with my own judgement and experience, and with a clear mind not clouded by bias or pride, I decided that this picture is Average or a little bit above average but certainly not below average. How is this picture below average I ask ?</i><P>

You seem a bit unclear about the meanings of objective and subjective. If you're evaluating based on <b>your</b> judgment and experience, you are not being objective. As for your question, several people have already provided critiques of the image's shortcomings.

Mike, "I" think that aesthetic appeal has to be subjective. I don't see how it's possible to be objective about aesthetic appeal as what holds aesthetic appeal for me might not hold any aesthetic appeal for you, and vice versa. Originality is a different kettle of fish to an extent - even if you hate the look of a picture you can easily tell if it's in some way original and itmay not be too hard to be objective about that.

Inger, I'm sure you heard of the term "Just the facts madam"

meaning that I gave Mike all of the facts before I made my judgement. This is what an objectvive judge is supposed to do, not cherry-pick a couple of negatives, then write the entire picture off because of them.

Harry, that's exactly what photo editors do. If there are technical problems, it gets rejected.

Pete, as I mentioned on my upload, just as poor technique produces bad aesthetics, so does good technique greatly effect aesthetics in a positive way. If the viewer isn't aware of how the subject's photographic interpretation is enhanced by good camera work, then they're reduced to liking or not liking the subject. They can buy the print or not.

But if you're rating photographs on PN for the benefit of the site and photographer, you should understand all the photographic variables of the image in question.

Most raters don't.

Pete I agree with your crop of the image looking a lot better. I should have thought about that. As far as your example and sharpening it looks a little too sharp to me. I try to do very little post processing on all my images. One reason, I'm not very good at it and the other I try to get a good shot right out of the box.

I'm going to mess with this image in CS2 and some of the others and see what I can learn, thanks.

Michael

"I must have made someone mad... ...it's certainly not a 3."

Which is it? Michael purposefully seeks ratings even though he already knows what ratings an image deserves so he may practice his mentalist skills of sensing stranger's emotional state over the internet or is given to making unsubstantiated assumptions about his more Earthly skills.

Aha Michael - your image is now an example of digital manipulation that has been carried out in order to deceive. This is not what you saw and is no longer a true representation of the subject you photographed. The sunlight is not hitting the subject from an angle below the horizon. The relationship between bee and the Earth's gravitational field is no longer correct. It is a lie :))

However, I would say it is a lot more aesthetically pleasing than the unedited version!

one issue that holds true in any art from, whether photography, painting, sculpture... is that there is no accepted, universal truth or standard as to what constitutes a "good" or "bad" art. there is no 2 + 2 = 4. it is maddening and it is wonderful. objective...subjective? in one sense they're meaningless...or at the least indistinguishable words. objective? by what standard? who's to say that being in focus counts for anything? blown out highlights... so what, for it may be pleasing to someone. we can argue that regardless of how others view our work, that if it pleases us...that's all that matters - but honestly,how many of us can sever our emotions so completely from our work and remain true to this philosophy. for me... in the end i'm not generally swayed by the opinions of others to the degree that i make changes i don't feel comfortable with, nor do i cater to others in style or subject matter so that i'll garner their favor and high ratings. but if the view of my peers held no value for me..., for any of us...why would bother to be here having this discussion and displaying our photographs for all to see?

"..blown out highlights... so what, for it may be pleasing to someone."

I thought that blown out highlights was something one should not do in photography, it means that the exposure is not correct. This was more the case before than it seems to be now, I think. It is suitable for some situations, if it enhances the photo - but often it doesn`t.