Contax G2 autofocus - how?

I'm about to take a trip through the Canadian Rockies, to Banff and other

places. I anticipate MANY great photo ops on this trip. I'm taking a newly

acquired Contax G2 with me, as well as a small digital camera. I'm familiar

enough with the G2 to be aware of some of its quirks, but - how well is it gonna

work through tbe windows of the observation level of a tourist train? Is the

autofocus, presumably an infrared device, going to be unaffected by the presence

of the windows? Or should I just use manual focus and set it at infinity? Of

course, I plan on taking lots of shots when I'm NOT on the train, but if I see

something worth shooting while I'm cruisin', what's the best approach? Thanks,

Dave Shombert

I would try focusing through my home windows to find out. Better yet, ride a bus or a car as passenger and see how the camera acts. I will assume that there's no problem. If small P&S cameras with active AF systems work, this one will work too.

I used to have a Contax G1... with a passive autofocus (same system used in SLRs) I never had to worry about where the little ray would hit.

Definitely read that Best Thumb in the West link.

I'm not sure why people continue to insist the AF is faulty because they don't know what the camera is focusing on. The viewfinder has very clear distance scale information. If you're shooting through a window, and the scale says the focus point is less than a meter away, it's probably focused on the window. If it says something closer to infinity, well.... If the camera has not focused on anything, both ends of the scale will flash. It's rather simple.

Yes, i've missed a few shots when the G2's AF didn't react as nimbly as my EOS. But, i've missed more shots with the Leica M7 than i ever did with the G2. In just about ever case, 'issues' with focus have occurred when i did have time to react and shift to get a solid AF lock. I never have that problem when photographing people, when there's a greater chance of losing a 'moment.'

Of course, Dave, you also have the option of manual focus. Read the tutorial - it's easier than it may seem.

"And an even less-known feature: if you focus using the AF lock in SAF mode, hold down the button while turning the mode-select collar from SAF to MF. Now you'll be in manual focus mode, but the distance setting has been automagically copied from the SAF value"

I have run into the same issue with the G2 and my Pentax AF. Rather than trash the cameras (unloaded my Nikon collection because of AF!)I learned to get around it. I can focus manually with the G2 in a very rapid manner. Seriously, the window issue is real for many AF cameras. Try to practice manually with the G2 - infinity is a piece of cake.

Don't worry, just point the camera, prefocus (press slightly on the shutter release button), recompose w/o releasing the finger and take a picture. AF is very fast and accurate. It is a hybrid AF passive+IR. If will focus in practically any situation (including through a glass and complete darkness)

There are a distance and focus lock confirmation indicators in the viewfinder (in case if one has doubts)

The viewfinder was not designed for manual focusing, so is is not as bright as leica's, but it does what is was designed to do.

Don't be disapointed by anyone. Use your new G2 and enjoy it.

Why on any G2 question do people feel a need to chime in on how they sold their camera for either 1) poor autofocus, 2) squinty view finder, or 3) It's as noisy as a steam train (surprisingly not yet mentioned).

The posts are off topic and nobody cares about your commentary, except you feel the need to express it. If PN were better moderated, the posts would be deleted.

Should I go to the Classic Camera forum and complain about my Contax IIIa squinty viewfinder? Cameras are what they are, move on.

A bigger issue is avoiding reflections on the inside of the window as you take scenic shots, those will kill nice photos pretty quick. I don't think there is a way around them, maybe experiment with a polarizer before you go?

Michael - Yes, as I said above. Put the camera into MF mode and blast away!AF will pickup the window limit many times. How tough is infinity setting in a manual mode? BTW; the G2 is very quiet in MF mode! BTW: I have had similar AF window issues with several other major brands of AF SLRs & digiPS.

I've done a little experimenting at home, through windows, and it seems a little unpredictable. Sometimes it focuses on the object outside, sometimes it seems to be aware of the window. Kind of doesn't make sense, I would expect infrared to be pretty oblivious to window glass. Anyway, I am not gonna worry about this - if I shoot with it on autofocus and I think there's any doubt, I'll just shoot again on MF. Or maybe always with MF while on the train. But I'm hoping to get many more great shots when I'm OFF the train. Thanks again to all who contributed something helpful.

Dave