How do you choose subjects to photograph ?

Browsing the photos that some members have posted on this Forum, I am amazed by

the variety and exotic nature of some of the pictures. Not all of us have the

time, or the finances to visit exotic places such as the Grand Canyon, Alaskan

Sea Shores, Paris, Rome etc.

Therefore, we are sort of shackled to what is available in our area. Sometimes

I get in my car and drive for hours and hours looking for something to

photograph, but wind up coming home empty handed.

Sometimes I wish I had chosen my bicycle to get around, because in a car you

can't allways stop without finding a parking space. Is there a better way of

doing this, it seems like such a waste of time ? When I'm given an assignment

to photograph I have no problems, but without a specific assignment I'm totally

lost. Any advice ?

I just walk around my neighborhood and let the photos come to me. It is futile to force "interesting" on locations that are very familiar or are ordinary. I carry the camera and try not to think about it. It's the light, after all, that makes the frame, not the "interesting" subject reflecting it.

A bicycle or walking is a good idea. For longer distance, I often ride my motorcycle with my camera in a backpack. I find it's easier to stop and park the m/c anywhere. Although because of my work i end up visiting amazing locations, I find that the vast majority of my photos are from within 10 km from my house. But there i'm also lucky we have a nice national park 8 kms from here where it's easy to go for long hikes. When i get into a creative rut, I often do one of the following: 1) take my macro lens and go in a familiar place crawling on my tummy looking for just anything to turn into an abstract; 2) give myself an assignment like doors, windows, leaves, trees, water, reflections, movement, people... whatever and go out and try to shoot as many and in as many different angle/light/etc as possible; 3) take only 1 of my telephoto lens and try to see the world through it, it's amazing what you can find looking through a longer lens that you dont pay attention to when you just walk around; 4) take a subject i have shot many times and go out and try to find a new angle/ perspective/ approach to it; 5) set up a little studio in the house for macro subjects, and shoot glasses, utensils, flowers, petals anything with a macro objective, natural light and a simple reflector. Just make up those assignments and go shoot, you'll be amazed after 10 or 15 shots how the juice comes flowing right back. Cheers

I prefer walking, and sometimes I give myself assignments. It's a matter of looking and

seeing. Some days it's not there and some it's too much to stay focused on one subject. It's

why more often than not I like to use one body and one (fixed focal length) lens, it forces you

to do with what you have and to think and work at getting photographs. And it's why I give

myself specific ideas, such as window fronts, people working, alleys, signs, etc., and

sometimes it leads you places and directions you never thought.

I always find it easier to find things to photograph in locations away from home, even if the subjects might be the same as those found close to home. I really dislike the word "inspiration," but there is something about travel and being in different surroundings that opens the "eye" to seeing things.

That said, I'm kind of burned out on my usual solo vacations, and I also have no desire to be subjected to the ordeal that air travel has become. So I am planning to spend my next few trips (and possibly those for the rest of my life) exploring my local region, by mass transit where possible (I live in the Los Angeles suburbs, where the world-famous traffic congestion removes all the pleasure from casual exploration). That also provides the challenge of finding "inspiration" in familiar surroundings. I have the advantage of a Web site visited by people from around the world, so perhaps the "inspiration" can from the knowledge that what seems familiar and mundane to me could well be very interesting and exotic to someone who views my pictures on a computer in some distant place.

Harry , I see from your gallery that you probably live on the east coast, as you have photos from Virginia, Washington DC and Pennsylvania. I live 2 hrs or so from the exotic location you mentioned the Grand Canyon. I could care less about photographing the CG , but whenever I am where you live, I see photos everywhere ". I think you are suffering from that dreaded disease, the "if only I was there, I could see more photos syndrome". Where ever there is,I am sure someone wished they were taking photos where you are. I don't know if it's the "grass is greener" or at least more saturated somewhere else , or its more familiarity breeds contempt , but you are not alone in your feelings of not seeing photos. I would suggest giving your self a assignment to show where you live in your photos, like you were shooting a picture story for National Geographic.

Good advice there from Michael. It's amazing how many images I can now make by simply giving myself a theme. And to really challenge myself, sometimes I will use just one prime lens for a whole day.

For the past two months I shot almost everything around two boats that go up and down a lake near where I live.

The other day I met a guy who runs a canoe school. So, you can guess what I have been shooting all last week.

Find another photographer challenged with the same thing, and give each other

assignments. Some ideas:

take 10 photos within 10 feet of where you're sitting right now (or, in your yard, garage,

bathroom, office, wherever.)

take the most creative photograph you can of a pair of scissors.

or of running water,

or of any part of your car.

go to a junkyard and photograph it.

You get the idea. Mostly, have fun. Do things you don't normally do; break your routine.

-- "Sometimes I get in my car and drive for hours and hours looking for something to photograph, but wind up coming home empty handed."

It's not easy to really 'see' something, when you'reon the road with your car. Stop somewhere, go for a 30minutes walk.

There are pictures everywhere. All you need to do is discover them. The picture below happened "to come to me" when I was on a visit to Taiwan and we went into the mountains in a minibus. Somewhere along the road the the driver stopped for a short moment in thick fog to permit us to stretch. I looked around and discovered this "Chinese Painting". Everybody else probably only saw fog.<div>00Lj7e-37262584.thumb.jpg.7466ede1ba0a95d338e98341ca1e04e5.jpg</div>

When it comes to choosing subjects, I usually just shoot 'em all and let god sort them out. On a more serious note, there's a lot to be said about from where and what angle something is viewed.

Lately, I was at the local zoo crouched down with my camera by a pond. People were wondering what I was looking at and it felt a little silly saying that I like the light and shadow around the pond with the way the plants around it. Then when I got home, I found the glare basically killed all the detail.

Here's an idea I heard from a Craig Tanner talk last night. I don't think I will do this myself, but it's an example of "moving out of your comfort zone" to capture photos. Get a cheap digital or single-use camera. You'll see why in a minute. Go out an approach a stranger and ask him if you can take his picture, and then hand him the camera and ask him/her to take yours. That's why you don't want hand him a 1DS MkIII. He/she might be able to run faster than you can. Me? I'm tip-toeing out of my comfort zone.

Phil

If you're going to do something like that, maybe just grab a memory card, like an old small one that you don't use any more, and head over to the nearest tourist attraction. Tell people you're having trouble with your camera and ask them to get a picture of you/if you can get a shot of whatever.

I was tempted to do something like that after my dad purchased a Kodak with some serious noise issues.

Please don't take offence but I agree with Mike Dixon. I cannot understand people buying a good camera and all the paraphernalia and learning the workflow that goes with it, if they do not have a compelling reason to do so. All that process-related effort is in service of your output needs and desires: your craft, your art.

It's gotta mean something to you.

Reading photo forums, one gets the overwhelming impression people get aboard the gear and technology train, THEN wonder what to do with it all. Signing off before I sound too much like Jeff Spirer. I never have the problem since my subject matter 'chooses' me, and it hurts when I cannot do it justice. I wish the same for you. cheers.