Is Rodinal back in production?

ned1

I stopped in a chintzy point-and-shoot camera store in Westchester the other day

and saw a tiny darkroom section in the back with a shelf full of Rodinal. I

asked the clerk when it had come in and he had no idea what it was or how long

it had been there. Is it back in productions or did I luck out?

Rodinol production (as well as Neutol print developer) was picked up by a&o, a German chemical manufacturer. I wasn't aware that they'd lined up a US distributor, but that would be great news. Go back to the store a buy a couple of bottles. It lasts forever, and it wouldn't hurt to spark some demand for it.

I'm curious if anyone knows where it is available in Canada. I asked the US distributor (listed on the A&O site), they didn't know but forwarded me to A&O directly, who responded that they didn't have one yet. This was a few months ago, though.

The problem is, US retailers won't ship liquid chemistry across the border - designated hazmat, apparently.

The Frugal Photographer out of Calgary was advertising some generic liquid Rodinal formula for a while, but I don't see it on his site currently.

Not that it's a big deal for me as I'm currently just starting and experimenting with HC-110, which is available locally, but it's nice to have options.

A&O bought out the Chemical division of Agfa. They make Rodinal, Rodinal Special, Studional and other chemicals. I doubt they sell

directly to the public.

You can order Rodinal from <a href="http://www.lumiere-shop.de">http://www.lumiere-shop.de</a>. I order two bottles of

125mm Rodinal Special from them, shipping by mail to me in Toronto is

hassle free.

Edward,

The Photographer's Formulary in the USA sells the original Rodinal formulation. The formula is slightly different than what Agfa last sold as Rodinal - which is what A&O is making at the present time, but the results should be nearly or entirely identical.

Worth a try if you find the Maco/A&O option too rich for your blood.

Rodinal Special is a century old fine grain B&W developer formula by Agfa, it main developing agents are Rodinal and Hydroquinone, it produces finer grain than Rodinal alone. It has the same long shelf life of Rodinal, an open bottle of Rodinal Special can last up to

two years and still retains its developing power, unlike many phenidone based developer, which lost its developing power rapidly after the bottle is opened.