underdeveloped-increase time or agitate more?

rico

I developed a roll of 35mm Tri-x in Adox ATM 49 1:1 for 7 minutes and 30 seconds

at 20C. Thirty seconds initial agitation followed by two inversions every

minute. Fixed in TF-4. The grain and sharpness is fine but a straight scan shows

the areas that are supposed to be white (her hair) is a little gray. Should I

extend the development time to 8 or 8 1/2 minutes with the same agitation method

or use the previous time but agitate more (3 or 4 inversions instead of 2)?<div>00M2WR-37693184.jpg.9135f76d83dc5b26a185914b1aba237e.jpg</div>

Always adjust time.

In this case the highlights have detail. Increasing contrast will make the hair all white without detail. Leave it alone.

If you need a preview, increase the contrast in photoshop, with Contrast/brightness, levels, or curves. With levels move the upper outside sliders towards the center until they hit the histogram. You will find they are already there. With curves, increase the slope keeping the line straight.

I agree 100% with Ronald. You can measure time accurately, but it's hard to quantify agitation. For one thing, one person's agitation is another person's inversion is another person's violent shake.

If I wanted that hair more white I'd still want detail in it in the film to begin with, then I'd adjust in Photoshop.