Jobo tanks for LF and 120

marc s

Hi all,

After checking into both the Combi-Plan and Jobo concepts for develping, I'm

seriously considering the Jobo. My main reason is that I'd like to process both

4x5 and 120 roll film. The Combi-plan seems geared only for LF.

Considering I'm going to be doing both LF and MF, what would you folks

recommend? Is there another option I'm not aware of that may be cheaper and

still allow daytime processing?

Thanks

Marc,

You might consider looking into a PhotoTherm. I own one and I like it. I process 4X5 but it will do MF and 35mm as well. Everything is automatic. Once the film is loaded into the canister and you press start, there is no need to come back around for 45 minutes at which time you remove the processed film from the container, hang and dry.

It pre-heats water and chemicals, and it dumps all chemical and waste water automatically.

From time to time on can be picked up on Ebay anywhere from $400.00 to $1000.00.

Good Luck,

Harold

Thanks Harold.

That's definately the system to have. I'm very new to MF and LF formats so I may go with

something a bit more inexpensive until I've cut my teeth and become more experienced.

However, I really like the idea of setting everything up and walking away only to come

back and dry your prints. Now that's the life!

Marc S

Marc,<br>I tried a Combi-Plan a few years back. The down side was <br>1. Slow to fill, slow to drain.<br>2. Constantly leaked from the fill and drain spouts.<br>3. Film holder wiggled and allowed 4x5 sheets to come out of position using inversion agaition.<p>I next tried JoBo. The down side <br>1. price?<br>2. Roller base necessary for multi-reel tanks.<br>The up side<br>1. Inversion processing possible with the single, 4x5, reel tank #2521.<br>2. Modular design makes them very flexable.<br>3. Roller base and multi-reel tank allows for minimun amount of chemicals for developement.<br>4. No mess.<br>5. Easy to get good results.<br>Charles

I've been on the net most of the day looking at the differences and will probably go with the

Jobo system.

One question concerning the Jobo tanks: If I'm developing just one roll of, let's say 120, do I

need to have other reels inside the tank to take up the extra room?

"One question concerning the Jobo tanks: If I'm developing just one roll of, let's say 120, do I need to have other reels inside the tank to take up the extra room?"<br>

I have only the 4x5 reels and I say NO, you do not have to have enough reels to take up the room in the tank. The 2509n 4x5 reels have tension on the center columb and stay where they are put, they do not slide freely.

This isn't what you asked, but my advice is to get a Jobo "Expert" drum for 4x5 and a patterson or whatever tank for 120. That's what I use. I used the Jobo 2450(?) 4x5 system with the sheet loader and base for years, but there is no comparison between the jobo reel system and the expert drum system. This option is NOT cheaper, however, but do a search here and apug for jobo expert drums before you make a decision, if you havent already. good luck Tom

Marc, You didn't mention whether you were processing B&W or Color.

If B&W then you can use a Jobo 1510 or 1520 tank for 120. The tank will hold up to 2 reels (for 35mm) or one reel for 120/220. You can process by hand inversion and obtain excellent results. For 4x5 use the Jobo Series 2500 tank with 2509-N reel. It will hold up to 6 sheets of film and you will get excellent results with hand inversion.

If, on the other hand, you are doing color, E-6, then you will need the CPA-2 or CPP-2 to process film larger than 120/220. I purchased the CPA-2 new from a local camera store at the end of the year but have been shooting 120 B&W exclusively since then and haven't yet used the CPA.

Hi Thomas,

I should have mentioned it will be B/W. I may try color at a later time. For now, though, I'm

sticking with the simple.

As for the 2500, is hand inversion OK to do? From what I understand, I would need the roller

system.

I just bought a 2521 tank with a 2509n reel. I do 4 sheets of 4x5 at a time. I load them by hand without the loader. It works just fine. I prefer to stand around with the lights on and this tank works great.

As mentioned above, stay consistant with your agitation.

Thomas and David. B&H lists the roller and the loader as necessary items. It looks, according to your answers, that I can probably do it without the loader and roller. Makes life simplier and cheaper. Thanks