HIE vs. New Efke 820c photos

I have just uploaded some comparison shots of Efke IR 820c shot side by side Kodak HIE.

HIE shot at my standard 200ASA Kodak speed and using a large bracket I came up with a TTL speed for

the Efke at 25asa. 25Red filter does not do substantial infrared effects on the Efke. Freestyle Photo

Supplies is considering having EFKE produce an AURA 820c with the glow effect of HIE. (no anti-halation

backing).i will try this test again with a IR cutoff filter and see how it goes.

see my portfolio on Photo.net for samples.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/member-photos?user_id=1004854

Thanks for those, Steve. Do you know, is this Efke essentially the Maco 820? My experience with the Maco has been ISO 3 with a 89b filter to get a good neg, while with the HIE a 29 red works fine.

Do you think the main difference between your examples is the antihalation, or different sensitivity?

I have understand that EFKE is the same factory that made the MACO and it is the same

film.So I imagine the AURA would be the same as well. The main difference is the infrared

sensitivity I think, there is ample room for push processing. I shoot HIE with a 23-Red most

of the time and still get a striking IR effect.

I have never used XTOL, but I have been using the satndard Tmax RS automated processing

for about 10 years with no problems. before that i processed HIE myself with D-76 and

Crone-C additive, but i was more interested in contrast 10 years ago, now i like a little less

contrast in case hand-coloring is needed.

I shot a 35mm roll of the Efke infrared recently as well. It's nearly identical to the MACO stuff from a few years back. So far I've determined as you have, that a #25 red filter does nothing for it. I've had better luck with a wratten 92 deep red filter mounted behind the lens of my Olympus OM-1n. ISO appears to be about 12 in bright sunlight with this filter. I process in Clayton F-76+ for 14 minutes.

Have a look here to see some examples from that roll:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arcanefuture/

Also note that the film is very sensitive to static electricity!

• 6 months later...