What do you think of this White balance? Any suggestions or critques welcomed. :)

Hey there,

I've got a keep ya on your toes lighting situation in an upcoming shoot. Dark,

dark tiny rooms, dark wood ceilings and backlit by bright windows. I was

thinking to over power the tungsten light and use flash/window light.

The example shot below was taken with the following settings:

28mm f2.8 1/50 Manual mode

TTL Flash -2 with Fong Diffuser no gel on the flash

White Balance: Flash

I'm getting a strange green cast in the background. Can/should I do anything

about it?

I'll post a more zoomed in shot in a minute.<div>00LMUS-36794884.jpg.a8d3520ea5ce10708d8b93962e4719f4.jpg</div>

LOL. It doesn't change anything! It just shows what I was talking about more loudly. Plus, silly, I posted this while you were answering. Thanks Ellis for pointing out where the cast came from.

I was, however hoping to see if there was a creative way (other than converting to B&W or cutting down the trees) to eliminate the green cast. Anyone have any ideas?

"a creative way (other than converting to B&W or cutting down the trees) to eliminate the green cast."

Duplicate the image in a second layer, color-correct the door area, and then use a layer mask to blend the two images together?

I think photo.net forums is where a lot of people with "bad days" come to vent :0<p>

I say as long as if the the skin tones on your (people) subjects look good, then all's well. If you don't like green, then simply go into your color adjustment tool of choice and lower the Saturation for the green channel, or change the hue to something less green... as long as the bride's not wearing a green dress and there are no other greens in the image, that green cast is the only portion of the image that will be affected. Simple, right?

For the scene you have, it is perfect. Soft warm inside light. The green is from outside which will have a different white balance than inside.

Should you fix it? I would worry far more that it is all blown out. That I would fix if it goes in the album.

The final amd most important question is how do people look. There are no people here, but you must make them look good at all costs.

Since you are flash balanced, included people will most likely look good.

I love having tungsten lights show in a flash shot. In darker areas slow the shutter to 1/15 at 5.6 to pick up the indoor ambient lighting fixtures, although 2.8 at 1/50 is about the same. Using 2.8 does not give much debth in wedding work. The flash will freeze the subject and 1/15 is sufficiently short to not get blur in the lights.

Well I am also thinking that changing the time of day that you shoot may also change the green light. Like photographing when the sun is on the other side of the building to give you a flatter light. But I tend to like the warm tones in here so I would definately have to think about that.

Try a gel to match the two sources? Others will have more knowledge on that subject than me. What did the scene look like with other white balances? I probably wouldn't worry about it. Chances are most of my shots (if it were me) would be from the window side facing in to the room to work with the light instead of against it.

Working like a wild woman today,and so sorry for the short response. Thanks for the great ideas! :)

Someone was asking what I will be shooting on those stairs. It will be candids of the Ceremony.

Thanks again! I'll try and post what I decided to go with later for anyone who wants to see. :)