Filter for Ektachrome Infrared

I picked up a roll of EIR yesterday. It was cheap - presumably as it is going

out of production ASAP. I have never used it before, and am unlikely to be

able to do so again, so some advice on filtration would be thankfully

received - I cannot try it out and adjust for the future!

The data suggests deep yellow - I have standard (2x, 1 stop) yellow or pale

(3x, 1 1/2 stop) orange - which do you think would be best to use with this

film?

Thanks for any suggestions - For me this is a 'Mount Everest' thing - Why did

you do it - because it was there - and EIR won't be there tomorrow.

You want the yellow filter, although you should also try the pale orange -- I don't think it will make much of a difference. But you must keep the film refridgerated and frozen most of the time! This means that you should shoot your roll of film within one day and have it frozen until you bring it to your pro lab. Else the film goes very monochrome magenta. And shoot a couple of subjects -- macro, portraiture, landscape and so on -- everything will look different.

If I recall, the recommendation is for a #12 yellow, which is midway between your standard #8 and a regular orange.

The last roll I shot was carried on the plane unrefrigerated, used over several days in New Mexico, and mailed to the lab unfrozen. It came out fine, altho YMMV of course (I also load Kodak B&W IR film indoors, but not in the dark and have for decades, even tho that is also "against the rules")

If I remember correctly, the #12 yellow is to block the blue light as blue light will kill the infrared effect. You can use other filters in conjunction with the #12 yellow to change the color effect. #12 yellow only yeilds a magenta cast image, #12 yellow + ? = orange cast to red, green cast. I don't remember what combinations I used. Expose at ISO 200 for processing C41.

I've been digging up and shooting a few rolls or EIR myself in the past few weeks but have shot plenty over the years. If you are shooting for effect and the punchy colors then I would definitely start with a #12 yellow and an EI of 200. But by all means experiment from there. I have gotten interesting results from a wide range of filters and light sources. Some of my favorite filters to use are #25 red and my Hoya R72 IR filter. Have fun!

mdd

• 5 months later...