3 New Articles by Erwin

jtdnyc

On lens reviews (may 20, 2007)

Are Leica owners photographers or technophiles? (may 19, 2007)

The Leica IR filter revisited (may 19, 2007)

http://imx.nl/photosite/leica/leicahome.html

My favorite quotation, from the "photographers or technophiles" article":

"And for what it is worth: a few days in the wet darkroom with Adox or Spur

microfilm and classical chemicals and paper are a good reminder that there is

no easier way to produce perfect BW imagery than silver halide technology."

I usually enjoy reading Erwin's opinions and experiences. The Hove comments were interesting. The Hove bankruptcy does not have to screw the contributors & authors. If the authors had/have good, legal contracts and copyrights of their materials, the new ownership will need to acknowledge them . . .or face civil litigation and potential criminal liability, depending on the contracts.

no such thing as criminal liability on civil contract - defaulting party would be held to monetary damages. BK does not forgive trespass to copyrighted materials. Whoever acquires the assets in BK also acquires the liability to copyright holders.

I am not saying that anyone has said much to the contrary, but I for one like Puts. He sells what he loves, and I love what he sells. I think his compendium must hold a special role for those of us who got into Leica only after the late 90s. He added great detail to the drama. Maybe his book is like the Star Trek technical manual for the Enterprise, but I enjoyed that years ago also, and that is not an insult: the comment appreciates the way his own passion coincided with the times. I don't know the law on this, but I hope he gets something for his efforts or already got it. I paid for a copy of his book at about $50 some years ago, and it was well worth it to read about what I enjoy in the setting I chose without need for wifi or having a laptop in bed.

At least his articles don't start with something Rockwellian like "I have never used this lens but here is my 3 paragraph review of it anyway..."; or reviews that you have to pay for but you get consistant and predictable conclusions like "all three lenses are good enough to get the job done but clearly the Leica has advantages of higher contrast and resolution at max aperture but to fully utilize each of their full potential you must use very fine film and a sturdy tripod...blah blah blah".

>or reviews that you have to pay for but you get consistant and predictable conclusions

The difference is that imx.nl doesn't charge you for exactly the same type of thing which the author calls "testreports. [sic]"