Ektachrome E-200 question.

Does anybody have an experience with Ektachrome E-200? I've seen this film a

couple times on e-bay for an attractive price. I don't really like Elite 200

and want to try something new. Any opinion, scanning samples, please.

Should be very similar films, same technology, same generation.

The color balance should be a little more dead-on with the E200. well, if you buy in well in-date, from someplace that keeps it refrigerated. On eBay, who knows...

But it's pointless to make any specific suggestions unless you say what you don't like about Elite 200. Color balance? Grain? Dmax? Saturation? Color fidelity?

Scott, I think you're thinking of EPD 200, which was a late 70's-80's emulsion, I used

plenty of it. There was a time when I was tired of shooting it, now I kinda miss it.

The OP film is E-200, which was one of the first of the E line of Ektachrome, introduced

right after Lumiere left the market, the companion films to E-200 were E100S, and

E100SW, and E100VS was introduced after those.

I seem to recall that it was put against Fuji's old MS 100/1000 as a flexible high speed

chrome pro sports shooting film.

E-200 is a pushable film, promoted as such and IMO looks best at +one stop, shot at 320.

Shot some at polo 2 seasons ago against Fuji 400f and of course the Fuji looked better.

The E200 had nice grain tho' with slightly flatter colors which looked better either in flat

soft light or pushed a stop.

The very old EPD 200 is a whole different character. My copy of The User's Guide to

Photographic Film 1984 lists it, and I used it all the time until 96 or 97. I think it was

discontinued then. The inside word is that EPD cross processes like nobody else in c-41

for that vintage '1998' look.

Sensia 400 cross processes nicely at 650-800 I am yet to try it with Elitechrome 400 though I have about 100 rolls of each.

I am moving and lost my list of films in the freezer but I think When I get it all done I can get the dates of the last runs of those older films.

Larry

Roman, Elite Chrome 200 is essentially identical to E200. Why do you not like it? I find it a

wonderful film, perhaps the best ISO 200 slide film. Lovely grain structure, very low

contrast for a slide film, nice colour palette. It's great stuff for shooting on sunny days

when the contrast might otherwise get out of control.

Here are a couple of shots by Photo.net member Lutz Konermann that show off the film

nicely:

http://www.photo.net/photo/2228456&size=lg

http://www.photo.net/photo/2180444&size=lg

Roman, I have used Ektachrome E-200 in 135mm and 120 format. I have found it very useful and have used in low-light shooting and night-time with flash. I love the color it exhibit especially when properly expose. A very good sharp film even protrails, Rufus.

Thanks everyone for respond.

Yes, I'm talking about E-200, not EDP. The E-200 was introduced somewhere in mid 90's to my knowledge.

Some of you are asking what I don't like about Elite 200. I've just scanned one shot in default setting. My major complain is the color reproduction. I don't like this reddish/pinkish cast and the sky always tends to be magenta rather then blue. I'd prefer to get the blue sky. I agree that the grain is fine for its speed and contrast is low which is good for general shooting. But the lack of blue/cyan slightly annoys me. After all it's just a personal taste. And according to Samuel samples the E-200 looks much preferable.<div>00LErF-36629984.thumb.jpg.9444de5a0a4532b212046da1670cfc68.jpg</div>

Thanks, Bill. It's a wonderful job. And thanks for you link back to 1998. Nostalgic feeling.

The scanned sample I posted looks almost identical to what I see on my light table. So far I have no complains about my Coolscan V. But I've expected question about an expiry date. Well, this film was outdated, but not much. A couple months maybe. Always cold stored. To shoot with outdated films is nothing new for me. But I've never seen such dramatic color shift. More over a year or so before I shot another roll (it was fresh) and result was pretty much the same. So if you have any scanned Elite 200 shot could you please post it for me. But only as scanned in default setting (without any color management applied). I don't really like to manipulate with pics on PS. I want to have my original slides the way I like. So, you think I have to give Elite 200 another try?