after washing. When it came time to hang and dry - I found I did not know what

I was doing and was not prepared.

My film clips are too large - and there is no place to clip them anyway as the

borders or so small.

Can anyone share some tricks with me on the best way to go from the tank to

drying?

Thank you!

J V

Horizontal dowel rod- attach plastic clothes pins to rod with wires thru holes- clip one corner

You can also clip one corner with roll film clip using one point.

Stand film on a dry sponge and lean against a vertical surface like a ladder on a wall.

Use all and they all work.

The rod needs to be level in procedure one to keep the pins from sliding together. Also I make the wire attachments as a deep hook, pull the film from photoflow, attach clothes pin, give a final rinse, then hook on dowel rod. I can dry 24 at a time this way.

There is also a produce known as "4 X 5 film hangers". these are metal frames into which the negative slips with a retainer at the top. Also at the top are extended "arms" with hooks in them for hanging.

If you are giong to do process a lot of 4 X 5 film, they are pretty handy. you can probably find them on e-Bay. check item # 330120137334 for a better description than I've given.

Have fun!

Wooden clothespins on a string stretched across the room works for me. Simple, cheap, works every time. Those stainless steel film hangers are designed for running film through deep tanks, though I suppose you could use them for drying, but why? Attach the clip to the corner with the code notches.

Try aligator clips (I think that's what they are called) -- they are steel clips that you can buy in office supply stores. Just spread them out on a string and use the clips to just grab one of the very top edges of the sheet.

Bischof & Ging get my vote. Don't use wooden cloths pins since they will accumulate any chemicals and may release their own when wet. There are plastic ones which can be hung on a metal wire to hold the film, and I've used these in the past, but I have more recently used the very small sized clips described by Mr. Bischof to do the same by clipping just one corner of the sheets of film. If they ever start to rust I'll switch back to my larger plastic clothespins, but with those it is not as easy to snag the corners of the film.

I also wick off the drips of water along the edges of the film as it dries to ensure no deposits form even though I use distilled water with just a smidgen of PhotoFlo as my final rinse.

JV -

The notched end of a sheet of 4x5 film usually has a border that is wider than the other three borders. The trick is to attach your clips at one end of this strip such that the film hangs at an angle for drying.

Sometimes, you will find the borders to be more nearly equal on all sides. This is because of the way the film was loaded into the holders. A good habit to get into is to tap the hinge end of the holder against the heel of your hand before you expose the film. If the film is not in the correct position, tapping the holder will cause it to slip into position to cause that one wider border.

As to clips - I have three kinds of clips in my darkroom. I have some Patterson clips that have a pair of stainless steel pins that pierce the film. These are designed for rollfilm, and when hanging 4x5, I attach them to the sheets by piercing the corner with only one of the pins.

I also have a set of clips that I think were manufactured by FR (whoever that is). These are yellow plastic clips that have a couple of mating plastic pins and dimples - they don't actually penetrate through the film, but rather crimp it. Again, I hand sheets by one corner, using one of the pins.

But most of my clips are ordinary PLASTIC clothes pins. As I recall, I bought a couple of dozen at a Woolworth's many years ago for less than what four purpose-made Patterson clips cost. I clip them to the sheets at one corner. I have added small metal screw-eyes to have a way to hang them - I held the screw eyes using pliers and heated them using a propane torch. That made it possible to embed the screws into the handles of the clothes pins.

Finally, a couple of weeks ago I saw some neat clips at Central Camera in Chicago. These appeared to be alligator clips with eyes attached to the ends opposite the teeth. You can find alligator clips at any Radio Shack, and based on the design, you have to cobble some means of hanging them in your darkroom.

1/2 century ago in 4H club we learned to use dime store metal clips; the same ones you get today at Office depot. One can also use plastic closepins; which dont collect chemicals like wooden ones. Alligator clips also work. You want something that doesnt collect chemicals; is washable, and is low in cost. Many times one can get several dozen plastic closepins; or say 1/2 dozen metal clips for 1 dollar. In a past era folks had less money and often didnt buy into canned solutions from photos stores. In process camera work often one is hanging 24x36" or 18x12" negatives; and plastic closepins on plastic closelines was used for decades. Even KODAk at one time had yellow plastic closepins for graphics arts; one strung the cord thru dozens of these.

The slightly absorbent nature of a dry wooden clothes peg grips the wet film better than plastic clips, allowing a close-to-the-edge grip. I'm usually not hanging up anything larger than 10x12 inch film, so I risk one corner only. They hang at 45 degrees and dry very quickly.

For my graphic arts films, and process work such as Kelly speaks of, there is generally a wide margin around the edge of the image for safe handling, and archival storage is often not a major concern. With 4x5 camera negs it's a different story.

Some new wooden pegs may contain a degree of tannin, but a well-used, leeched laundry peg that's been used to hang out the washing for years should be free of any contaminants. If your films have been properly processed, there is nothing for the pegs to accumulate.

For films up to 4x5, I often use a method as described by Ronald Moravec, except instead of sponge, they stand on lint-free paper towel. In a draft-free room, they will stand up diagonally, with the driest corner uppermost.

Kevin.