Film and airport X-ray machines

My family are going to America next month and i was thinking of buying something

like 50 rolls of Ilford Delta 100...Do you think that airaport X-rays will KILL

the film?? When I fly i use spacial bag that don't give the X-rays waves to pass

fro...But it's to small for 50 rolls...

And i really want to buy cos' Delta 100 is 3 times expansive in Israel:(

Best to keep it in your hand carried baggage. I've had problems with the strong xrays they

use for inspecting checked bags. For easy inspection, I recommend you put the film in a

plastic bag(s) and hand it separately to them if they ask. Have a good trip.

Richard you're posting an article from 1994, since new regulations and powers X-Ray, mostly after 9/11.

Myself had problems with paper in France and Portugal, I personaly sued them for damaged paper. And learned how to pass trough x-ray scanner. You sould contact TSA (tranpsort security administration) in USA, or local equivalente in country you're visiting, and the arrange all papers, because sometimes they don't do hand inspection (or they don't want to do, even if it's your own right)

With films specialy B&W never had any problem. Measured fog levels ( with 2 densitometers) nothing detected.

Regards,

Rui

ps: Think about films crews, they never pass trought x-ray scanner her filmed reels.

Also, print off the TSA and manufacturers web pages that have the flying guidelines. Many times the screeners do not know what the procedures are and will insist on having your film passed through the carry-on scanner. Having some documentation will be a, let's say, polite way of showing them that they are wrong. <p/>Flying has become a BS hassle because of a few nut jobs. It's unfortunate that the jerks of the World end up controling the way we all live.

You'll be fine with 100-speed film, even with multiple passes through the carry-on scanners. Do *not* put any film in checked baggage---the scanners used for checked bags will cause damage. Also, at US airports you can request a hand check of your film, and you generally get it if you're polite but firm about it. (Under the FAA regulations, you have a right to hand inspection, but the screeners will try to talk you out of it.) Budget some extra time at the airport for this, as they typically like to swab each roll of film and run the swab through an explosives detector. Take the film out of their cans and carry it in a plastic bag, or something similar--I use plastic tubs that hold 16 rolls apieve.