What do you miss most about film?

I also shoot film a lot of the time although I might shoot 5x as much in digital. When I shoot digital I miss using small and lightweight prime lenses with no CA problems, manual focusing, a crisp clear viewfinder and ... well also it would be nice to have some texture in the images at times.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss:

o the absence of purple fringing and chromatic aberrations

o the joy of operating the camera

o not worrying about cleaning the sensor and spotting out sensor dust

o using a bright clear finder that has a slit-circle focus indicator (without voiding my new camera warranty)

o the rich tonality of B&W

o using the full resolution of my lenses (no IR or anti-aliasing filters)

o being able to use a rangefinder camera with a quiet shutter

o DOF scales on lenses

o exposure lattitude

Petrana,

All of these things have happened to me, more than once, mostly at Ritz Camera. I found that labs, like barbers, do what they do. If you don't like it, it's useless to complain - find a new barber, etc. For me, 35mm film is history, and the prospects of continuing with medium format film are diminishing. If my digital camera should fail during a shoot, I have a backup - the same as with film.

Obviously you have never made high-quality scans, otherwise you would realize that 2 hours per roll is nearly hopelessly optimistic. It's much easier to pass the job on to an underpaid high school student at a minilab.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi folks. I'm new here and will use this response to say thanks for having me and I hope to be a productive member. That said, what I miss about film? I miss the anticipation of waiting for the process to finish, be it my own lab or the local pro lab. The stacks and stacks of 2nd and 3rd choice images. Most of all, what I miss, are the old time camera stores with darkroom equipment departments, used equipment departments, etc. and the old time photographers that hung out and gladly talked to the young ones coming in to look at the equipment and dream. I learned more from some of those guys and gals than any book or class. Thanks again for having me.