Choosing a Film/Flatbed Scanner

Hello again,

I'm in the market for my first scanner, moving some of my thousands of analog images into the digital

world. A flatbed scanner with film capability. I've looked at Epson Perfection models, and at an HP 4890,

which a fellow photographer has and enjoys, but I don't find the kind of information I can rely on from

reviews on Amazon or Circuit City. Mostly whining about how this or that model doesn't like to work with

Mac OS, which is a user issue: I use Mac myself and I'll figure out the bugs. But I'm looking to spend

about $200, and be able to scan from chromes/negs in any size up to 4X5, but would settle for a model

that would do 120 in various aspect ratios.

To keep things fairly simple, please list a model you like, the main reason why, and/or one that you hate,

and the main reason why.

I really appreciate it folks, thanks.

Alexander.

"But I'm looking to spend about $200 ... in any size up to 4X5 ..."

A refurbished higher-end Epson, something close to a 4990, is a good bet. Image quality won't be that different from less expensive models, but you do get more flexibility in film handling and perhaps a faster scan.

Keep in mind a few things though. First, a consumer flatbed, even an expensive one, just isn't all that great for film. Scans of 6x7 will likely be no better than an image from a modern DSLR; don't bother with 135 format film for anything but web posts and 4x6 prints.

Second, scanning is slow. Scanning a few thousand images will probably take a year.

Third, do make sure the scanner has ICE dust and scratch removal. This won't work for traditional B&W emulsions, but can be a life saver for color film. You might also want to look into fluid mount options for those few critial images (though you may just as well send these out to a service bureau.)

What do you plan to do with the photographs once they're in your computer? If you plan to make excellent prints for exhibition or hanging on your wall or showing to friends, I don't think a $200 scanner with medium format film is going to do the job. OTOH, if all you're going to do is post to the web or send the pictures electronically to family and friends (i.e you don't plan to make any prints) almost any decent flat bed will probably be good enough for that. FWIW, I use the Epson 4990 and am very happy with it but I only scan 4x5 and 8x10 film and my prints don't exceed about 16x20. I think Robert's suggestion of a refurbished 4990 is probably your best option consistent with your budget unless you're doing this strictly for web use.

I don't print from digital (have two Omega D2 4X5's) so the most the scanner will be asked

to do is store stock images for on line or desktop publishing. Any larger prints from color

chromes I will take to a a local pro lab. Got the aforementioned HP scanner for much less

than I had thought possible. Thanks again.