Canon 30D Problems!

amyagain

Has anyone ever experienced these problems?

When I look through the viewfinder the lcd read out of the settings is failing.

Some of the little sections are not lighting up well. It is like a little light

has burnt out. I called Canon and they acted like they had never heard of this

before.

The other problem is that periodically when I am shooting it freezes up. The LCD

panel gets all grainy looking and all the controls do not work. I have to

restart the camera and then it works fine.

Can anyone help?

Thank you!

Amy

You clearly have problems that are only fixable by a trained camera technician. The green characters in the display are backlit; some of the segments are not being turned on properly. This could be a faulty connector or the display driver IC.

The LCD behaviour sounds faulty as well.

If it's still under guarantee you should send it back to Canon.

Good luck.

mmm not sure how much this might help, I did not have this problem with my Canon but with a previously owned Nikon. The LCD display kept failing and freezing up the camera. I ended up sending it back and 2 days after sending it in, they came out with an advisory (LOL). At the end it happened to by a problem with the chip that controls the LCD.

Personally with Canon, I have to say their service department is really fast. I sent my Canon camera in once and in all it took 2 weeks. Well I sent it with 2nd day, so I guess that helped things.

Good luck

The VF data display will blink under certain conditions, e.g, fluorescent lights or CRT

monitors. The camera detects flickering light levels and adjusts display intensity. Of course, if

it does it

in normal light, you have a problem.

Once in a while when my 20D gets flaky and a total reset cures it: remove all batteries for a

couple hours (including PRAM backup). Heals ma cell everytime too.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Years ago I had an EOS-1 on which the VF data suddenly went patchy for no obvious reason - I think the camera was about eight years old at the time - and then over the next twelve months it steadily recovered until it was back to normal. Never did work out what had happened.

There have been quite a lot of posts here and on other forums about the inadequate brightness of the VF data on a number of Canon bodies, but that's a design fault, not a sporadic problem like the one you are seeing. Given that you've tried the obvious checking/cleaning of contacts, the only answer is to send it for repair.

"When I look through the viewfinder the lcd read out of the settings is failing. Some of the little sections are not lighting up well. It is like a little light has burnt out."

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but the settings or controls in the Canon 30D view finder are very hard to see if there is a very bright low lying Sun behind you Meaning that your back is turned toward the sun during late afternoon hours. During those circumstances, you can't see any of the controls inside the view finder, so you either have to move to a shaded area, or guess at what the exposure is.

As far as your camera freezing up, if the camera cannot focus properly on a certain subject probably because the shutter speed is too slow to handhold the camera the little round green light inside the viewfinder light's up and the camera freezes up. Well actually the camera prevents you from taking that picture.

If none of these conditions apply, send camera back to Canon.

Tell you the truth, I would ask for a brand New camera.