What to expect -- bulk film.

I've purchased a 100' roll of 35mm film (Ilford HP5 400). I'm going to load it

in my darkroom, but I have no idea what to expect. How is this thing packaged?

What I have is a small box which says not to open unless in a darkroom.

Can someone give me a detailed explanation of what to expect from the packaging?

Thanks!

The box should be sealed shut with labeling tape. If it is not, then it has been tampered with. There is a lightproof black plastic bag inside the box. I believe that is also taped shut with strapping tape, though I may be wrong about that. You may cut through the box tape in the light, but do not open the box until you are in the dark.

The film itself will have a small piece of tape on the end and there will be a plastic spool with a hole in the center of the film roll for mounting on the metal rod in the bulk loader.

All you have to do then is figure out which way to put the roll in the bulk loader. My Lloyd's bulk loader has the film rolling out clockwise and my Watson has the film rolling out counter-clockwise (IIRC.. it's been in the freezer for ages with Tech Pan in it)

I take it you do have a bulk loader, a watson or similar?

Basically as per the 1st response, you'll have a tin which is taped closed, inside is a light tight bag, inside which is the reel, familiarise yourself with the loader and it's instructions if you have any before you go into the darkroom to load it, don't remove the holding tape on the film reel until you are just about to put it into the loader, make sure that it's all laid out in easy to find order before shutting the light off.

Once loaded you can load the film canisters in daylight although I prefer to do mine in the darkroom as an added precation.

Mike

How do you intend to load and measure the film without a loader? In total darkness I hope? if you load more than 36 frames, it will not fit onto a developing reel.

You can use old cassettes without a loader, and simply store the film back in it's packaging. But the old cassettes won't seal well against light either without some black tape.