My FIRST digital camera ... still want the feel/look of film

robgomez

Hey guy's,

I've decided I want nothing higher than a Nikon D70, cause I don't ask for much.

I'm used to old film cameras anyways. I'm just diving into digital for the

obvious advantages. I don't care about a bigger LCD, or image quality

comparisons/tests. Those subtle differences will never make someone talented.

So just based on the features a true photographer could ever need, for WHATEVER

task be thrown my way (travel, pro jobs, art) ... the D40, D50, or D70? I'm

least interested in the D40, cause it doesn't have a motor, and I have a lot of

vintage lenses I want to use.

Thank You,

Rob

P.S. I LOVE OLD FILM CAMERAS, AND LOVE THE LOOK OF FILM, ALWAYS WILL (I just

need the convenience of digital now - e.g. being able to take 1000's of shots

for free).

The thing that first jumps at me from your post is your subject line...the very first thing you notice when you move to digital is that it DOESN'T have the feel/look of film. For that reason, I still prefer using film cameras unless I have to use digital for work/pay. I'm not sure what you mean with your statement about the D40...doesn't have a motor?????

There is only one camera that can give you what you want for little money - the Fuji S3 - it IS

slow, but otherwise it is the closest to a film camera you can get cheap today - there are

going to be lots of them on the secondary market now, as the S5 has just come out..

DXO image processing software now offers an add on program called Filmpack which can add the look of film to digital images. Check it out at www.dxo.com.

The d70 is an excellent camera and is used by many professional photographers for event and wedding photography. You many not be asking for much but the d70 delivers plenty!

Supposedly the D40 can mount non AI lenses. None of them will meter with manual focus lenses besides the P lenses. So depending on how vintage your lenses are...

D40 will have the best view finder, biggest lcd, and a full rgb histogram which is most useful if you are not going to be using a hand held meter to take pictures with manual focus lenses.

My 1st DSLR was a D70 and I still use it frequently at weddings. It's not as well built as my D200, but has many of the same features. It was easy to learn, once you got used to some of the termanology associated with digital. Here are some resources that can help you:

http://www.nikoscope.com/index.jsp?wwwSearchSubmit=yes&wwwQuery=nikon%2Bd200&start=0&hitsPerPage=10&hitsPerSite=2&curentTabId=forumsTab&forumSearchSubmit=yes&query=D70&selForum=any&selDate=any&txtAuthor=&selPopularity=0&selArchived=0

Juan, yes I have been using the DXO software for about 2 years and have recently tried the film pack. If you like the look of film, you will love this option.

They offer a full version 30 day free trial at www.dxo.com but I do not know if the film pack is included in the trial.

How vintage is vintage? If your "vintage" lenses are manual rather than autofocus, every body lower than a d200 (right down to the 40) will behave exactly the same way with them - you'll need to learn to use the histogram to meter. It's not difficult, but it means you will notice little difference between d40/50/70 other than viewfinder and screen sizes.

The d40 can mount lenses all the way back to my ancient pre-AI 50/2 Nikkor, though I usually use the later AI version. I do not know if other lenses of the pre-AI (Nikon F) era work, but there's nothing on the mount to clash with things so it's a good bet. It mounts everything AI, too.

Other bodies will not mount lenses earlier than AI era, but will autofocus with more AF lenses. If you have manual focus lenses and don't know whether they're AI or pre-AI, try google.

My 2-cents, FWTW. I found the D70 to be more "digital-like" than "film-like". Maybe it was the plastic chassis, tiny viewfinder, or dummied-down controls, but I always knew I was handling a budget DSLR when I used it.

I own the D200 now, and can say that it is much more film-like to me. In fact, I think I'm using an F100 with instant feedback when I have it. I would not go back to the D70 after using the D200, now.

That being said, the D70s is a highly viable tool and we made lots of money with it. If you already haven't, I would encourage you to try a few these out at your local store before buying one. With its consumer DSLR's Nikon seems to be biasing performance to such things as LCD screens and sensor sizes, rather than things like sturdy build quality, good viewfinders, and analog camera-like controls. Whether this is an issue for you, only you can decide. Best of luck in your search.

Just my opinion, but film and digital are two different media. If you like film why not just keep the film camera and lenses you have and shoot film when you feel like it, and add a digital such as the Lumix FZ-50 (around $500) for your digital adventures. Buying something like the FZ-50 gives you a fixed lens digital with large zoom range (35 - 410mm equivalent) which means no added expense for extra lenses. Cameras like the FZ-50 allow full manual mode and RAW images, allow you to experiment with the software products named above, and "take 1000's of shots for free".

I just switched from an Olympus OM-4T (one of the best film cameras ever made) to a D80. I'd go with a D80 at least, or a D200. The solidity, handling and viewfinder of the D80 felt as close to the solidity of the OM-4T as I could afford... The D200 would have been even better.

Now as big as the D80 viewfinder is, it doesn't compare with the OM because the image area of the sensor is smaller than film is. A full-frame sensor camera with a 95%-100% viewfinder will most closely resemble 35mm.

HOWEVER, having made the switch, I would never want to go back to film again. I got great prices for my old gear, and miss it not at all... My D80 feels like a quality instrument, and the results do not leave me feeling compromised in any way. If you can afford a D200, all the better.

With film I use a 20+ year old Contax RTSII. With Digital I use A D70. The thing I like least about the D70 is the viewfinder is like looking down a drinking straw. Well, thats a bit of an exageration. But I had to force myself to use the D70 untill I got use to it. For my 55 year old eyes the auto focus is critical with this camera. You really need to mount a vintage lens to one and see if you can focus manualy.

As far as all the "dummy features" goes its not a problem for me. The mode I use most often is "M". Same as the Contax. It is no slouch as a performer. I have 16X20's hanging on my walls that I am very happy with. I shoot only in RAW and post process to get the "look" I am after.

Hope this helps.

Steve

From the tone of your letter, I think there are a few things here that you need to address before you actually buy a digital camera.

First of all, I agree, more pixels and gizmos will not make someone a better photographer. However, the more recent a camera, the more the manufacturers have been able extract from sensor technology. Better sensor technology and software/hardware algorithms translate to more accurate color rendition and better dynamic range. Those are the things that film has had 100+ years to get right, and those are the things that make the difference between a "digital" looking image and a film-like image.

Ok. That being said, the best thing you can do is get a camera that allows you to photograph the subject/style that you are interested in. From your response, it seems clear that you have decided that you do not need more than a 6MP sensor. That's fine, but given that, you should get the most recent generation of camera that uses that size sensor, to take advantage of those very technological changes that I mentioned above.

My first choice, given your requirements, would be the D40. If you have a lot of autofocus lenses, you might want to think otherwise, but it would give you great results, and would be a way to get into digital without costing an arm and a leg. Image quality is supposed to be really excellent on this camera, and it would be a way to try the medium without compromising quality and yet without making a giant investment.

My second choice is NOT on your list. I personally would get the D80 before I got the D50 or the D70. Image quality on the D80 is supposed to be truly excellent, and it also has a very, very good viewfinder. Don't dismiss this camera because it has 10 megapixels and you do not think you need them. You may not, but whatever else this camera has to offer sounds like it meets your needs quite well.

The third choice would be a D200, which would work with ALL your lenses. It's bigger and heavier, which might be an advantage OR a disadvantage, depending on your use of the thing. It is the most "pro-like" consumer camera right now, and if you plan to use this for paid work, it might make the most sense to get this.

I think you need to really sit down and reassess your thinking about this. Quite simply, digital is a different photographic medium, and it will allow you to do some things better and some things not as well as film. You don't need to feel like you are holding your nose and taking a plunge...if you truly believe that digital cannot give you what you need in terms of image quality, then you should perhaps reconsider investing in it at this point in time.

Please post again after you decide, and after you have used your new camera if you get one. I am quite curious how you will feel about using digital after you have spent some time working with it, even given its limitations.

-Janet

>>I'm not sure what you mean with your statement about the D40...doesn't have a motor?????<<

Up to the D40, autofocus Nikons had an internal electric motor to focus the lens. The D40 saves weight and money by omitting this, so it can only autofocus with Nikon AF-S lenses, which have an internal motor.

I own a D70. It is an ok camera, but I hate its viewfinder, as manual focusing is a nightmare. The viewfinder is tiny and there's no good manual focusing aids on visible. If you need to manual focus, get a D80 or D40(x) and also consider the Katz eye (haven't tried, but will).

My old all manual SLR had a HUGE viewfinder and a great angle of view. I still sometimes miss it very much.

Digital offers some great features, though: instant review, frame by frame ISO selection, embedded metadata (great with iView Media Pro, AcdSee, Fotoware...), and the wonderfull DxO Optics Pro.

As you have those old lenses, I would recommend a D80 instead of a D40(x). If you don't care about manual focusing, then a D70 is an ok first dSLR. Also take a look at the buttons on a D200. Yes, they could make life easier if you photograph a lot. The focusing mode and metering mode selectors are nice. Not difficult on a D70 either, but I would still like to have those extra switches...

I really just want to stay under the D70. The D80 and D200 is out of my price range. This digital camera is not going to replace my film cams. It's just for the obvious advantages, like getting most jobs, period. But it is true about the viewfinder ... probably the most important element to get close to a film cam. So how's the D50's viewfinder? The best viewfinder seems to be the D40. I tried the D40 a bit yesterday, I like the size of it, way closer to my old Nikons. The things I didn't like was no status window on top, and the big screen interface seems alittle patronizing. Just to let you know, I love to manual focus, I hardly use auto, but of course will for things like moving kids and when I'm climbing a cliff. I am still going to use film as much as I can. Always for my most important and personal work. And B&W photography. You have to admit, digital is the way things are going IN GENERAL, and I do want to get JOBS, and have more instant photos for things like websites, and travel. I find if a digital camera compliments my film cameras, I will have a much larger body of work.

thanks,

r

Rob, I own both a Canon AL-1 and a Nikon D40. I too live the look of film and the convience of digital. My situation however is slightly different becasue I had no Nikkor lenses before the D40.

As you say, you still wish to use film regulalry, so there isn't much point in spending huge amounts on a higher end body. If you are willing to work without AF on any Nikkor apart from AF-S and AF-I, then the D40 represents the best choice. It is small, cheap, and the kit 18-55mm AF-S DX is probably all you need for the kids. And with the US$600-700 pricetag, it won't break the bank. The viewfinder is very good for a pentamirror, and it has a focus confirmation system just in case.

As to the status window, that has been incorporated into the screen on the back, which needn't stay patronising (as you see in the following link).

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40/page8.asp

Otherwise, the D70 will do. But it is somewhat larger, and the viewfinder it not as good. I would recommend that you go down to your local shop and ask to have real good try of each. I should should think, if you don't mind lens compatability issues, that the D40 would be fine for you.