200mm M42 lenses, which one to choose?

I am trying to choose between three 200mm M42 lenses and I was wondering if you guys could help.

Also, if you know anything about the actual manufacturers of these lenses, I'd be greatly appreciative. The

first lens is a Vivitar 200mm F/3.5 Auto Telephoto #28610273. The second is a Soligor TELE-AUTO

200mm, F3.5 #17100327. The last is a lens marked AUTO-ALPA, Multi-Coated, For ALPA Swiss, 1:3.5

200mm. It's #2540049 and is made in Japan as is the other two. I've found a little bit out about the

Vivitar, but not the other two.

I'm looking at which is going to produce the sharpest, most contrasty images, etc. I'm also looking at

which of these will be the most reliable. I use M42 lenses with a variety of cameras, a Zenit 122, Zenit ET,

Pentax Spotmatic II, and the most recent of my acquisitions is my Voigtländer Bessaflex TM. Thanks in

advance for any info you can give me.

Concerning the Vivitar and the Alpa lens you will not be able to receive much reliable information. Vivitar bought their lenses from various sources. The Alpa lens probably is a re-branded far east lens marketed together with the late Alpa (of Switzerland) SLRs which actually were made by Chinon. Probably these Alpa lenses came from various sources, too.

None of these three strikes me as particularly high-end. Image quality will be pretty equal, I guess, and the actual condition of the lenses is probably the most important factor. It might even be possible that all three lenses were made by the same manufacturer and rebranded under different brand names.

If you want the best image quality, there are several high-end options for M42 200mm lenses -- like the rare and expensive 6-element Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 200mm f/2.8 and the Color-Dynarex 200mm f/4, or brand-name 5-element lenses from Olympus, Fuji, Pentax, Meyer, etc.

The Vivitar, made by Komine (as don mckeith noted), has been tested by various members of Manual Focus Forum and found to be a winner. I possess two of them - they are quite nice, even wide-open.

http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=4233&p=1

Please note that in the results posted, the user mistook f/3.5 for f/2.8. He *was* testing the f/3.5 lens, as discovered later in the thread.

I do not have any knowledge of the Soligor or Alpa. In general, I like Soligor lenses, but their "C/D" series were the high-quality ones, the rest were usually not so much. Just an opinion, though.

Another point to bear in mind is that with a 200mm lens to get sharp results, you'll need to use 1/500 sec shutter speed hand held or 1/125 on a tripod, so you'll need a fast film if you are going to use anything but maximum aperture. Also, if you are intending to use the lens on a tripod, make sure you get a lens with a tripod collar; it will be very unbalanced to use the camera's tripod socket.

Thanks to all of you who have responded so far. I haven't found any info on the Soligor or

the "For Alpa Swiss" lens. The "For Alpa Swiss" lens is new old stock and is in perfect shape.

The Soligor is in very good shape too. Except for when you stop it down and look at the

aperture, it appears oblong, not a perfectly symmetrical polygon. Is this a defect or a design

"feature"? The Vivitar is in rather good shape, but the rubber coating might be missing from

the focus ring (if there ever was any). Other than that, the glass looks good on all three.

I had a Soligor 200/3.5 once, possibly the biggest heap of junk I ever owned. New, it was a quarter of the price of a Takumar. I do not believe that Soligor were 'official' suppliers to Alpa. If it had said Soligor for Contax or Nikon or Leica I certainly wouldn't believe that there was any real supplier arrangement with those camera makers.

I could be wrong regarding the Alpa connection, but I sincerely doubt it: Alpa used lenses from Kern and Angenieu and other OEMs, surely Soligor (not an OEM) was never really in that league? Soligor branded lenses were standard fitment to Miranda cameras, decent enough, but not in the top notch group of the day.