Ilford pan 100 vs. FP4 plus

Thanks for the tip Paul. I did a search on ilford pan 100 and here was the the result.

"Results 1 - 10 of about 1,870 from photo.net for ilford pan 100"

I'm not sure I would want to look through all 1870 entries for an answer.

Thanks also for the link, though to be honest it seemed a little weak on the real information when I read it.

FP-4+ is one of the finest films of all time, and worthy of your finest efforts. I've always preferred it to Plus-X although Verichrome Pan in sheets was reputed to be advantageous for those using the Zone System. FP-4+ is generally available in most film formats including some ULF sheet sizes, but it is definitely a favorite of mine for 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10. My only other real serious interest is in the 25 speed Efke for sheets and rolls although I now am trying some of Freestyle's cheaper EDU sheet films for 8x10 (while they are still available). However, if you are shooting roll formats, I also very much like Pan-F+ and Agfapan 100, both with Rodinal as developer, although the Efke films are cheaper.

My advice is stick with the FP-4+ and not a lesser derivative.

I've used Delta 100 and don't think it's so impressive.

My mainstays and all time faves are FP4+ and HP5 in that order and dependant on my B&W needs at the time, I try others but always come back to them, i recall being very upset when i heard Ilford may be closing.

Kodal T-Max is OK at a pinch and I have some pan F to try yet so we'll see where that goes.

FWIW, FP and HP are great in the respect that they are incredibly forgiving and can be pushed and pulled in the extreme.

FWIW; As I have been told but cannot confirm.

Pan 100 is an export film to third world & hot countries/climates.

I can confirm that I processed some Pan 100 for a friend who bought it in East Africa. The results are quite good; I & he have no complaints.

I think both D100 & FP4 are better but its a close call.

I never had the opportunity to experiment with the Pan 100 as I only had one roll to play with.

Buy it & try it!

• 2 weeks later...