quick releases

augphoto

There are plenty of posts and opinions galore on tripods (here and elsewhere)

but, what about quick releases? I'm not asking about tripod heads, either, just

the quick release. Does anyone have any experience to share about them? Types,

brands, models you love or despise.

Also, please keep info to stand alone QR's and not heads with the release built

into them.

Arca-Swiss may be most widely used. Gear is widely available from a lot of makers, including RRS, KirkPhoto, AcraTech, and many others. I started with one of the Bogen systems last year but I switched to Arca-Swiss style. Wished I had thought to ask like you have.

"Augphoto"? Is there a good story that goes with that handle?

I have a Really Right Stuff universal L bracket that clamps on to the camera plate by way of the screw type clamp. The L bracket itself is held on to the tripod by a clamp that uses the lever. I prefer the lever. However, the lever clamp has three positions: the closed (clamped) position, the mid-way position that permits the plate to be slid in from the end and the fully open position that permits the clamp to be simply dropped into the clamp. Sometimes one of my clamps is reluctant to close when in the fully open position, so I generally just use the second position.

One that I really like is the hex-plate from Bogen/Manfrotto (works with a 3047 head, and some others). They make a square one, but the hex is strong and cheap enough to equip all my cameras and long lenses. Being hex, it also prevents unwanted rotating in the head mount. It also snaps in place, can be purchased for Hasselblad and other non-uniform mounts, etc. Same deal where you drop it onto the head and it clicks in place.

+1 to RRS/Arca-Swiss type clamps and plates. The RRS plates are custom-designed for many cameras, and fit like a glove. They can't rotate or slip on the camera, and are slim enough to remain in place at all times. Like Ellis, I prefer the security of screw type Arca clamps, though I have a couple of the lever type as well. I use the RRS clamps on several ball heads, a macro slide and flash bracket.

Some of the Bogen plates (the big, hexagonal ones) have auxillary stops to prevent rotation, but are too big to leave in place. The compact Bogen wedges are held only by a thumbscrew, and won't hold the camera in the vertical position.

Bogen is less elegant but cheaper than the Arca Swiss variants. Many other brands are generally functional but less universal. The Bogens may have a secondary latch locking their releases, not necessarily a bad idea, more AS are coming with safety "pins" or the like to prevent side slipping. Many different brands offer either lips or bracket plates of various sorts to deal with slipping/rotation when placed in vertical positions, etc. Comes in handy when trying to get good coupling and one surface or another is "soft" or you can't really crank down the mounting screws.

One advantage to Bogen and some of the other consumer brands is that their plates can be somewhat more widely available, many camera and electronics/computer stores carry extras of their stocked plates. AS is generally not going to be found except at larger camera stores, if at all locally. So replacing a lost AS plate may be tough in the boonies. (Take two - you probably can survive swapping them around, but loosing your only plate that will connect your cameras to your tripod is not a pretty experience.)

Bogen and A-S being pretty broad lines, you may be more likely to find compatible products on a wider variety of heads, etc. So if you get a particular head for a tripod and want to match up on a head for a monopod, etc., Bogen and AS variants may be easier to find/use replacement or assemblies or come across more different heads, etc.

However, when it comes to dealing with the longer, heavier "big guns" and then popular gimbals, AS holds most of the market. likewise with l brackets.

<p>I got fed up with my Manfrotto CR2 clamp and plates and switched to ReallyRightStuff's lever clamp and l-bracket for my 20D and haven't had a problem since. The CR2 CR plate would twist on the base of the camera when used in portrait mode. The RRS CR plates and L-brackets are cusom fitted so they don't twist at all. RRS has a nice collection of custom CR plates and L-brackets for most modern SLR cameras and footed lenses.

<p>If you ever plan on getting a lens with it's own foot, get an Arca-Swiss style CR plate system. RRS's CR plates and clamps are compatible with Wimberly plates and clamps.

I use the Manfrotto/Bogen hexagonal too. They work just fine and I leave them in place on my camera bodies. They are not at all elegant or sophisticated - more clunky and functional, but economical and quick to use and give a nice positive click when locked. Not a fashion accessory though.

I should have added that I would probably still be using the Bogen wedgie system except that I started using the RRS L-plate for my Canon 350D, and that requires the AS system -- as several others have noted, when you get into ancilliary things like L-plates, macro flash brackets, etc., then the AS system seems to be the common currency.

Most of the systems out there work, however. So when buying, convenience, weight, availability, accessory upgrades, etc., are all relevant factors.

You might say that a photographer's experience can be measured by the gear s/he has discarded :-)

I use the Kirk plates for both lenses and bodies. Perfect fit, no twisting or slippage.

Also check out Wimberley.

I personally prefer a knob to a lever. I've read that the various makes are slightly different widths. With a lever release, that is an issue. With a knob, it isn't. Also harder to accidentally loosen a knob!

I've never found a QR I really liked. If reasonably effective they are a pPITA when the camera is off the tripod. For Leicas, I find the grip with the center socket more convenient and put up with screwing and unscrewing. Larger cameras work well with most QR's and I haven't developed a particular affinity for any particular model. I just consider them a necessary annoyance.

RRS makes a plate for the Leica that puts the Arca wedge directly under the lens, with an auxillary 1/4-20 hole (also in the center). You can remove the bottom plate without removing the RRS plate. I don't have that plate, but I distinctly remember using my Leica on a tripod - January 1999 it was ;-)

I've got a cheapo plain-Jane Bogen 3030 head that I use for everything from a 35mm with 300mm f/2.8, through a 4x5 sporting a 10" f/4.5. I have discovered some critical differences in the QR plates: the older plates were faced with cork, while newer versions have a textured rubber surface.

With the cork-surfaced plates, I can get everything to stay put and have no problems. Every time I use the rubber plates, things twist like Chubby Checker.