My last of Agfa

rothelle

My first box of enlarging paper was a box of 5X7 #5 that my uncle found in the desert shortly after WWII. Fast forward...the last several years, I have used Agfa Multi-contrast Premium paper. I still have a couple boxes of 11X14. It was great stuff and very reasonably priced.

When that is gone, I will have to get used to another brand at a higher price. If only some other firm could continue these products!

I've been slowly going through the 80 or so rolls of 120 APX 100 that I bought for a song at a mon-n-pop camera store. I almost forgot how outstanding this film was especially souped in Rodinal. Like Efke 100 but less grainy and smoother tonality. I'm really going to miss it when it's gone probably by the end of summer.<div>00KI6Q-35423384.jpg.352d1c7b6c645253565b16695e59dfbd.jpg</div>

Hasn't anyone read about FotoImpex trying to restart production of some Agfa papers and films? They got the rights to use the recipes and had bought Agfa's old smaller test kettle to make the silver emulsions in. I haven't read an update, but got an email stating they have already produced some new APX films dated 2010.

It is not new Agfa film. New old stock. Please, folks, let's stop telling each other that Agfa films are being made again - they are not. The FotoImpex rumor is just that - a rumor. Agfa left a huge stockpile of film in master rolls in warehouses, and that is now being parceled out, cut, perfed, and spooled. Lupus bought the right to the name "Agfa" for that film, others are calling it whatever they like, but it is all the same stuff - old leftover Agfa. Use it and enjoy it - when it is gone, it is gone.

Wigwan,

Maybe not that rude or rude at all but I learn people on this site are like babies and they cry about anything. Most post comments and when you go to look at their profile they do not have any info about them or photos or a site to see any of their work. We are the front mens with our neck on the line and being look at the rolemodel. That's what a few other been emailing me so I want drop their names. But I know people still think Afga is not dead. Agfa is dead and Forte is going to be next. Those are the factsand it's doesn't matter to me if you like to hear it or not. Just give them time. Most like that type of drama but the truth will soon be. I was just stating to a few of my friends that I'm down to the last 20 sheets of my 4x5. After that It's gone. Also I fine that Rollei Retro is not worth $9.69 for a roll of 120 or $19.99 for 10 sheets of 4x5;-)When I have great film like Tri-X, Plus-X, Hp5+, FP4+, Deltas, TMax, NeoPan at a price that is still good. But that's me. But thank you for youe fast reply and also comments and letting them know of the update of Agfa.<div>00KJEH-35452084.jpg.27e3ce5c8fb323b048f9d19830e03ee8.jpg</div>

Wigwam,

The Fotoimpex "rumor" is not a rumor - the effort has been concerned by the operator of Fotoimpex, Mirko Boddecker.

Mirko has, however, also gone on record on APUG as stating that the effort is very much in an exploratory phase and it is far from certain whether the films can be successfully made again. No timetable has been given for the effort coming to fruition or for its discontinuation.

In other words, tt's a longhshot. Not impossible, but definitely a longshot.

I never could figure out why Rollie charges the amount they do for their film. Maybe if they did away with the plastic containers (don't need 'em I bought a bunch from J&C) or the wooden box they come in if you buy a brick (don't need that either) prices would drop to the level that Kodak and Ilford films are going for. When you figure there's retailers mark up I wonder what the wholesale price is. Whatever the case, it's a little too expensive for my meager budget.

Whether or not APX is revived, anyone who hasn't, really should give EFKE/Adox serious consideration. I've used it in a range of developers from Rodinal to Tetenal Emofin with very good results, some of the best being EFKE R100 in Emofin. I've only just started to get into the PMK Pyro world, and expect I'll just keep going. It's so interesting that, whilst most of my work is medium format, the lure of 4x5 and 5x7 is tempting. Adox and Bergger have it all and bigger.

I have a few rolls of APX25 135-36, but it doesn't seem so precious any more. There's plenty to replace it.

I fell in Love with Efke films in 2005. Then stock dried up and another batch had to be made. When Freestyle started to carry this film I went straight down to the store and bought up enough to last me quite awhile, mostly 100 speed. After shooting about five rolls I was amazed at how different this batch was compared to the last one. Same speed, same developer/time/agitation/temp ect. Yet the new Efke was a lot more grainy and didn't have the same tonal range compared to my 2005 rolls. Shame since it really was a great film.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Rothelle,

I really love your published work, in case I haven't told you before. I usually don't make smart remarks in these responses, I have 60 years of pro experience and enjoy contributing what I can to my younger contemporaries.

i've been looking for good large format b/w (4x5) for several people and all that I can find with tested results seem to be these, I haven't seen any 9x12 in the US for over 30 years:

TMY, 400 (the new stuff is really great especially with D76 full strength and with replenisher).

TXP, 320 (I'm not thrilled with this stuff since Kodak changed the coating alleys and I previously used it from its introduction in 1954).

HP5+, 400, (it is not as good as it was before it changed in the the 1980's, be sure to use a true fine grain developer such as UFG with replenisher).

For the figure work that you do, I think you would like Ilford's Delta 100 and it works in well HC110 B (1:31 from concentrate or possibly even 1:50 with some simple testing).

I would kill for Kodak packaging large format in the New Plus X Pan, processed in D76 where we get a legitimate ASA/ISO 160 and it doesn't show grain until well past 20X enlargement.

Best regards,

Lynn

Rothelle, I truly understand where you are coming from. My favorite film is kodak Vericjarome Pan X in 120 form. I was able to purchase a brick on EBay that was expired in 2004. I am very pucky on what I am going to used it for. I will switch to whatever is left by Kodak in 120 form but i will miss my Verichrome Pan, Rufus.