Repairing a Rolleiflex SL2000F

i believe rollei still repairs those and is not too dissimilar to the 3000F. the chipset used is the same as on the SL35E. the shutter is a seiko and is very close in design to a Leica R4. you really need to send it to rollei for repair if there is a problem....it is a repair not for the faint of heart. i sold all my tools, parts and manuals for that camera years ago, but do remember some things. could you describe the condition which prevents you from attaching the pack? i just looked it up and found Oceanside Camera Repair. they claim to be the only authorized station in the US. i couldn't find the place in New Jersey from years ago so i guess they passed the tourch....the manager then was peter arndt.

i did a little digging and it seems that Marflex is claimed as the ONLY factory authorized rollei service in the US which is what i thought in the first place. i have not empirically checked out the address, but try: Marflex, 39 US46, Pine Brook, NJ, 07058; 201-808-9626

anyway this is the place i used to buy all my parts. i don't know about Oceanside Camera Repair only what i read; so, i sticking with Marflex until i know something different. there are x-employees probably specializing in certain repairs.

Hello Jacques,

I initially mailed the camera to KEH Camera in Atlanta for inspection and possible repair, and they in the ned informed me that nobody had the required main board to fix the camera and that they could forward it to Germany to Paepke to get it fixed. I am quite sure that they used Paepke. I was quoted $330 by KEH as the repair estimate, but then they told me that Paepke asks for about $500. We negotiated, and then Paepke agreed to do the job for $330 (maybe KEH took the blow) but they would then give no warranty. The camera failed three years after the repair. I don't think that I should pay another $500 or even more due to the EURO/$ exchange to get the same problem fixed again by the same people. The camera may fail again.

Raid

Marflex is lamentably gone. Martin was a generous, thoughtful guy, but Rollei USA hired his service manager, and it appears that things went downhill from there.

I had a jammed 3003 serviced at Braunsweig a couple years ago. They are the only ones I know who can still do so. And now, they are somewhat in doubt. No matter where you go (and I can only recommend the factory) the parts are getting few and far between. I last tried to email my service contact there about 6 mos ago and the mail did not go through, but that was on the old Rollei.de address. Not sure where service wound up after the buy-out breakup.

I can't understand how your battery pack doesn't fit if it was done properly. My guess is someting was soldered out of place and is bulging the case or causing the latches to not retract, etc. Rollei USA rebuilt mine for around $100 a couple years ago. Whatever you do, don't use more modern chemistry batteries, they will not work properly and may well damage your electronics. And we know those are no longer available.

Good luck,

Ray

Ray: Thanks for your input. I had the batteries changed after the camera failed, so it was not the modern batteries that fried the camera's board. It was in Braunschweig where the camera was reppaired. Is that Paepke? I am not worried about the battery pack since it can be replaced/repaired at a low cost. The camera is dead now and I don't have the extra $500 to burn to simply get back a camera that will last another two years and then fail.

Raid

• 1 month later...
I had Marflex repair my SL2000F several years ago -- expensive, but worked well. It was working well the last time I used it, but this morning appears dead -- the "error" light does not even come on and it does not appear to be getting power. Does this sound like a dead circuit board or -- hopefully -- something easy to fix?

MJ: I cannot tell you what happend with your camera, but mine had the same symptoms. Recharging the batteries gave me then an error light but nothing is working. It could be the main circuitry board got fried, or if lucky, the battery just discharged.

Raid

I just recharged the batteries -- 5 NiCd in the AA pack -- and the voltage coming out of the battery pack is very close to 7 volts. The contacts between the battery pack and the camera also seem clean and OK. I pryed them out slightly to ensure that they would contact the pins on the body. Still, not even an error light!

Raid: If you succeed in finding anyone who can repair one of these, please post. A repairman told a friend of mine that one of the biggest problems he encounters is cold solder joints. Maybe it is something like that. Of course, you still have to know your way around one of these things in order to get to the wiring.

MJ: When my 2000F failed the first time, I contacted several well known Rolleiflex repair people online,including DAG. but nobody has the spare parts for the 2000F. KEH's repair department also could not locate a replacement main board for the camera, and they told me that only the company in Germany may still have access to such a board. It took the German company about three months to locate such a board. Now, it is not working again. After spending about $400 to fix the camera, I don't see myself spending another $400 just to find the 2000F fail again for no reason that is obvious to me.

I would not mind taking a risk and letting someone try to fix the board but I don't know anybody who is capable of the work and would be willing to do the job.

Raid

• 15 years later...

Hi, I’ve had a look at the instructions but I can’t find this solution. I’ve got 5 new batteries for the power pack but when I opened the pack the 5 batteries in there are joined together with the connectors as a single unit and can’t be replaced by 5 separate batteries.

thanks

david

I had a look at Flickr; I can only find pictures of the  battery holder with 5 normal AA cells:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/schwigor/286776302/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/93988609@N05/32834607353/

However, I found a link to this page:

http://www.fuwen.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=34&Itemid=84

.. where it says:

The SL 2000 F / 3003 used 5 AA batteries. Interestingly 5 NiCd rechargeable batteries would work better than alkaline ones. On some bodies the shutter might get jammed when alkaline batteries were used. Some however had no problem. I had been using modern NiMH batteries with my SL 2000 F and 3003 and had found no problems so far.

The SL 2000 F was supplied with empty battery housing that would accept 5 batteries. Later this convenient battery pack was discontinued and only integrated type of NiCd battery pack was supplied. The integrated type though convenient to use, but you will need to find some electricians to get the batteries replaced once they were faulty.

So it seems likely that what you have is five Ni-Cd cells. Maybe you can find a way to charge that pack, though old NiCds aren't usually much good. If not, I guess yor options are to buy one of the empty battery holders, or pull the NiCd cells out of the one you have, and maybe add connectors at the top and bottom of it to put five standard AAs in series. You would then have the option of using disposable AAs, or NiMHs or even Lithium cells. Reading some of the old posts, it seems modern cells can damage the camera: maybe stick to alkaline ones if you manage to do this.

Good luck!

Edited by Dustin McAmera