Constructive Criticism Please

Personally, I think a photograph should capture a single moment in time. It's all preference, but I find a single subject captured perfectly to be the most engaging.

I spend a lot of time studying Ansel Adams work(I like landscapes), I might look at the same photo 20 times, it might be a simple picture of tree, but it still captures my eye the next time I see it. It doesn't have to have a lot going on, it just has to be right.

Just my 2cents.

-that being said each individual picture could stand on its own, as its own piece.

David,

Im assuming these are digital captures and not film so you are potentially in the wrong forum. Apart from that, as a constructive criticism independent of your image content and composition, all of your images are overly mid-tone grey; they dont have a real B&W feel to them. This look can be ok but it appears to be how you produce all your B&Ws. Have a look at some work from some well recognised B&W photographers and get a feel for the tonality potential of this genre of photography.

just my 2c...

Craig

You might try placing this post in the requests for critiques.

This is the B&W film forum.

I agree with the above; don't care much for multiple imagery looking like some magazine advertizing.

But don't take that as negative criticism, just personal preference. Looks like you have a good start at street shooting and a good eye and feel for your chosen subject. Keep shooting.

Strange request in film processing forum but....

Better to keep them all on one theme. The "urban" shots work fairly well but are intermixed with portraits that don't do much for me. The tonality is poor as well which makes them not work well particularly at this small size. Perhaps take one shot at a time and post it for critiques?

You cannot put all the pictures from your personal gallery into one puzzle post in this forum and expect a good reaction. You are rushing things. Presentation is a big part of the photographic process so take it easy. you have the critique forum, just show your work there and ask for comments. good luck

I think the title starts to tell the story, but a more descriptive title &/or caption would add to the composition. Also, unlike the others, I like the inclusion of color in your mostly B&W montage.

Since you (probably) captured this on a digital camera (or photographed the images on to color film then scanned), you have a color image to start with. This means that most everything you need to improve the tonality -- The color info -- is there to make stunning images. Here's why: You can simulate almost any lens filter & B&W film combination!

Here's how:

1) Use Photoshop's channel mixer to alter the RGB balance in the conversion, instead of just Image -> Adjust -> Desaturate.

2) Use the (free!) Picasa from Google, which allows you to select a lens filter color for the conversion.

http://picasa.google.com

3) Check out Harald Heim's PlugIn Source for plug-ins that do the color -> monochrome conversion as well.

http://thepluginsite.com/

Then, when you're all done, try some Plus-X film in your camera, and you'll have a ball!

The composition of the individual frames is nice: Keep up the good work!

There are certainly patterns emerging from these photographs. Wonky horizons, over/unerexposure, differing sizes/formats a certain erraticism all told, especially with a colour image thrown in. Sometimes this slightly rugged 'eratic' feel can be good but you have to be in control of it and know exactly what you are trying to achieve and why. Its good to see someone who is willing to put their photographs up and learn from them. If my senses are right and you are the youthful experimental beginner we all once were, I would suggest as above that you might enjoy TriX film, what beginner doesn't. There are many other interesting alternatives once you get into it. Also try to balance back and front light, there are a few photos which I feel (personal view only) have too much backlight, be careful it is a difficult subject to tackle.

Very impressed.

• 4 weeks later...

My critique:

<br><br>

The composition as a whole is somewhat jarring. I'm not sure I like the way the collage is put together as far as individual image sizes relating to each other, although a bit of order is coming to the surface when looking at the image in a bare window without the rest of the page involved. The relationships between the individual photos are tenuous, although a couple here and there begin to describe/elaborate on themes of shape or subject matter. A few images seem like filler, which also happen to be the weaker images in the composition. I'm not sure I'm opposed to variation in contrast/exposure within the context of the composition at large.

<br><br>

As far as the individual images, about half are "good" (read: effective). Fundamentals of focus, exposure, and basic composition are generally acceptable/good, excepting a couple of obvious improper exposures.

<br><br>

I will assume for the purpose of the critique that you <i>did</i> shoot and process this b&w film, then scan/assemble the piece? If that were not the case, then this would <i>really really really</i> be the wrong forum for this thread.