The Blind Philosopher of Photography

Mental experiment

<p>

Today I attended a lecture that was not about philosophy, and it had no visual

content so I closed my eyes and wondered what the visual intellectual world of

a philosopher might be. It is clear that some philosophical tomes require no

vision whatsoever; their concise use of words, definitions of the same, and in

some cases the invention of new words, suffice to contain their concepts.

<p>

But all people "see".

<p>

What do you think a blind philosopher would conceive of things like Tone,

Contrast, Composition, Color <u>as they are written of here</u>?

<p>

What do you think a philosopher trained in his field, the crafts of logic,

rhetoric, and multi-cultural thought-processes might have to say about some of

the nonvisual content here, our philosophica musings?

<p>

It might be interesting to see where this goes without pictures.

</ul>

<p>As a photographer who is not blind, but who is color-blind, I can report that when you show a photo that has a strong color component in it to me, I may miss the point. I've never seen a rainbow; I suspect that those who ooh and ahh over one are seeing something I cannot imagine. That, or you're all crazy.</p>

I have a very good friend who is in his 60's and has been blind since birth. I would hardly call him a philosopher, but he has an excellent understanding of visual terms such as tone, contrast, composition, color, etc... Over the years he has mapped those terms to appropriate sensations from his other senses. Consequently, he enjoys sunsets, movies and other visual experiences.

He very much likes to see things, and he only uses terms such as "touch" and "feel" if they are used in the way sighted people do use them. Yes, he "sees" by touching, but he doesn't view it like that. I've shown him some of my photography, but to give him the best idea of what it looked like, I had someone else describe it to him. That way he could understand the image from the standpoint of a third party observer.

hmmm...did all that make sense? I'm writing a bit disjointedly today.

As a very visual person I've often wondered how life would be if I could not see the things that make life so very beautiful to me.....I may be totally missing the point.... I don't consider myself to be a philosphizing (is that even a word) person at all.... but

I can't fathom how one conceives tone, contrast, composition.... if one has never had the fortune to be able to "see" them first hand.

However I do believe in thinking about this a bit more that colors can be described in terms of smell.....

Green is the color of fresh cut grass, and pine needles....

Red is the color of a ripe strawberry.... get my drift....

Again.... I may be totally missing the point here.... and I apologize for my ignorance if I am.....

So pico. You want to be anonymous and tell the world what to do.

You want to talk about blind philosophers and their take on photography...and only want answers which suit you. Do I have it correctly?

I guess I could have a bash at being a floormat for you but it's thursday and everybody knows thursday is for photography....woops...sorry...pictures.

Let's not do our laundry here.<div>00K33L-35101884.jpg.33ebc6780eb047e66255e6b43b0a1edb.jpg</div>

"Tone, Contrast, Composition, Color"

I think of Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder. Music is also described with these words these

words. Why do we never talk of photographs as having tempo even though a photograph can

give you the impression of speed or restfulness, and most great photographs certainly have a

visual rhythm to them.

Well, I beleive we all fall in love with only that which we want to fall in love with. As vive Pres over a local Photo Club, we have speakers and advancement programs. We try to hold our critiques to a positive tone rather than negative to enhance progression of talent. Even with our Juried shows with "profesional" judges, we see winnning photos differ greatly, month to month and year to year. While the composition, tone and contrast stays the same in the photo, the judges eyes change daily.

I have a point and I am getting to it. I wonder if you could get more consistant critiques describing the photo to a blind man than to show them to a seeing man.

But what the He** do I know?

Dave

" I wonder if you could get more consistant critiques describing the photo to a blind man

than to show them to a seeing man.

But what the He** do I know? "

Of course you would, but they'd first have to be consistently filtered through the eyes of

the describer. Does that answer your (rhetorical) question? ;-)

As photographers we try to convey beauty, uglienss, awe, the mundane, order, chaos, sanctity, evil and many many other things that have no existance outside of the human mind. In short we try to convey ideas with images. I would imagine conveying images with words is very similar step. If we connect the dots from concept to image to words perhaps the leap from concept to words is actually a simple leap.

Anthony: I am also considarably baffeled by you inital post.

Pico: Mine will be a much dimmer world the day I understand all before me. I will rush to that day by removing what I do not understand from my sight.

Consider that the concept of tone has is basis in aural perception rather than visual, although the concept is quite similar via both routes of perception. Consider Graham Nash's contribution first to multipart harmonies and then to the revolution of the image printing industry. Tone is important to both.

Now what a philosopher trained in his field would say? I couln't care less.

Philosophers from the time of Pythagoras have looked for order within the chaos of experience. Philosophers value order in the world and order in the world of ethics. In other words, every ethical decision has to do with choice. I don't think that photographic art, which responds directly to the things of the world, differs significantly from philosophy in that sense: it is an ordering of life and thus has a philosophical (and perhaps ethical) component. Whether philosophers in academies are visually literate is another (and for me less-interesting) question. What people who have been blind from birth understand about visual experience I suppose depends on their individual abilities to imagine what, in their experience, has never quite existed. Up to a point, we all can imagine what we haven't experienced; beyond that point, the universe is a pure and endless mystery.

• 4 weeks later...
thank you so much Mr.Stubbs...although i find the question posed by pico in this thread to be intersting and worthy of discussion, that's where the "interest in" and "worth of" his words end for me. as long as the "blind man" can read or hear pico's diatribes...he will easily perceive a man who is most in love with his own voice. everywhere i go...every thread in existence...there's pico spewing an endless stream of what we refer to here in the South as "five dollar words". Just recently a new member who immediately related that he was a novice of novices, asked a very simple straighforward question. pico jumped in after every two or three posts with comments of various lengths, most of which were totally out of context to the original question and I'm certain...of absolutely value from a practical, hands-on perspective. Over SIXTY lines of "drivel"...just so he can hear his head roar. Unfortunately arrogance can speak, it just can't hear, or see...for if it could, it might shut the hell up and seek serious psychological counseling to get to the root of this incessant need to try to come off as being superior to others. God, if this guy could only hear himself...