40D ? hope not

Not many changes that it true.

But maybe we should ask ourselves - what should be expect?

Pushing a 1.6 crop sensor anywhere above 10 MP will likely just get us crap (noise).

5 fps - what does a prosumer camera need? The sports pros need more but they aren't using a prosumer cam.

Sensor cleaning - considering the lower model already has it, this had to be included. From the many posts I've read, wet cleaning is still needed with the 400D.

LCD can't get any bigger without increasing the body size.

That covers the first four points - the remainder already exist in the 30D.

Again I ask, "what should we realistically expect in a prosumer camera".

We can't keep expecting miracles every year at no cost. I don't think we can keep expecting miracles at any cost.

If more significant features are added, it will compete with the 1 and 5 series, and from Canon's point of view, that's pointless at best and self-defeating at worst.

People keep comparing cameras to the computer industry which has pretty well followed Moore's Law, but additional computational power has many applications. Having a sensor that outresolves all the best lenses that exist is really pointless - it doesn't achieve anything useful.

So where should we realistically expect the 40D to go?

On the other hand, the article is likely BS as mentioned above - but from where I stand, the feature list seems quite realistic. If one really needs more, one can spend the extra $3,000 and get the 1Ds Mark II. It pretty well has everything that we covet and/or need so badly.

I think the site is just guessing to get listed in search andgines and linked to from sites like this (and it works).

However It's exactly what I'd expect the 40D to be. A 30D with a 10.xMP anti-dust sensor and probably a larger image buffer.

What else could they add (let me rephrase that - what else would you expect on a 40D levsl DSLR - not want, but expect).

Well, since you ask, ECF. I'd actually ditch my 20D and buy the new model if it had ECF. Don't

give rat's tail about cleaning (never seem to need it here in Hawaii) and 2.1MP is almost

invisible. Okay, a bigger and brighter vF would be nice. Both the Pentax K10 and Nikon D200

have nicer VFs.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I don't know if anyone noticed, but Canon's website no longer lists the XTi as "new". They have removed the "new" icon from over the picture of the XTi on the page that has the camera pictures lined up.

As for the 40D, I am hoping to see Canon improve build quality and ergonomics like Canon did with the D200, not that their current cameras aren't good of course. I'd personally like to see a better sealed / armorized body and more dedicated buttons rather than menus.

Rick

At a Belgian retailer? Wonder if its the same one that had the 100-400/4.0 IS L lens listed? What is going on in the little country that I live in that I don't already know about? Too bad I just got the March Chasseur d'Images. Now I've got to wait nearly a month for the next one to get the truth...

Glen Kolot's post should be read by all those who posted before him. Internet rumours and BS that start months before every trade show have people expecting a new miracle camera every time. What should a 30D replacement be? 39 MP sensor, noiseless 64,000 ISO and a 90 point AF system that never misses for $1000? Let's come back to Earth. You get what you pay for. If you listen to all these obsurd rumour posts, anything Canon does is gonna be a "dissapointment". No company can live up to the unreal expectations generated by the irresponsible speculations of a handful of people who have little better to do with their time. Instead of waiting around for the next "miracle" camera, maybe we should be out taking pictures with the cameras Canon already makes. Good luck.

I still like and use my 10D. I'm so out of the loop!

That said, here is what it would take to get me to purchase the 40D:

11 megapixel (so I could get uninterpolated 9 X 13.5 inch prints at 300 dpi)

1.6X sensor (I've grown comfortable with seeing a 38mm FOV)

less visible noise at higher ISO's than the 10D

bigger, brighter viewfinder than the one on the 10D

as quiet as the 10D

ISO in viewfinder display

Without the 11MP sensor, I'll skip it and stick with my 10D which, at the ripe old age of 4 years, is still helping me to make images to my liking.

Michael J Hoffman

Since this is a vapourware discussion...

Maybe the Canon Plan for 2007 will be to introduce an EOS 3 Upgrade Programme. You send them your EOS 3 body (and US1000.00)...they install:

- a 20MP Multiple-crop, sensor selectable for 1.6, 1.3 or FF (8, 5 and 3 FPS respectively) and

- an ETTL-II compatible RF flash trigger (of course this would accompany the announcement of the 590EX RF compatible flash).

Why not shoot the works....heck, it is the EOS 20th Anniversary.

Cheers! Jay

ECF? Say it ain't so. I've had several cameras with it and I found it pretty useless. Luckily Canon haven't ever inflicted it on professional cameras (1 series) and I think the small viewfinder of APS-C DSLRs might make it difficult to impement on them.

I know some people like it, but if Canon are going to add stuff that costs money and takes up space and software resources, ECF would be at the bottom of my list!

ECF? Say it ain't so. I've had several cameras with it and I found it pretty useless. Luckily Canon haven't ever inflicted it on professional cameras (1 series) and I think the small viewfinder of APS-C DSLRs might make it difficult to impement on them.

I know some people like it, but if Canon are going to add stuff that costs money and takes up space and software resources, ECF would be at the bottom of my list!

Give me in-body stabilization, ISO bracketing, Auto ISO in creative modes, ISO display in the viewfinder, WB display in the viewfinder, AF confirmation for manual focus lenses without needing a special adapter, 5 exposure bracketing, dual CF/SD memory slots or a bunch of other stuff before ECF.

Besides introducing the inevitable 40D, I think Canon really needs to introduce a decent midpriced ($300) kit lens. Many buyers are turned off by the cheap 18-55, and don't want to spring for the 17-85IS. Nikon has 2 decent kit lenses at that price point.

A 17-200 IS would also be a big seller if its optically decent and not ridiculously expensive.

I think Canon would do well to leverage some of the features and ergonomics from the Nikon D200. It's obvious that Nikon put a lot of thought into that body with the features and changes they introduced. Many of the items on the wish lists here are on that body. It seems like the XXD series is due for an ergonomic revamp like that, IMHO.

<p>Back to the link to the "announcement," it mentions that the 40D includes a new 3 fps speed, to go along with the 5 fps. So at least that part of the "announcement" was cut'n'pasted from the 30D, since the 30D already has this feature.</p>

<p>Once Canon releases the 6D and 40D (or whatever they're called, whenever they appear), if one has ECF and the other doesn't, that will factor heavily into my decision of what will replace my current 20D. ECF worked very, very well on my Elan 7E and it was a big step backwards for Canon not to put it on comparable DSLRs. It's been almost two years since I used the Elan and I still find myself fervently wishing my 20D had ECF.</p>

<p>Bob, there's an on/off switch for ECF, so if you don't like it, you can turn it off. And on the consumer-oriented bodies that have it, there's a non-ECF version available as well, so that if you're sure you don't ever want it, you don't even have to pay for it, either. There may indeed be technical reasons why Canon hasn't been able to make it work on a 1.6-crop body, but if there aren't, there's certainly no reason they couldn't implement it the same way they did on consumer-oriented film bodies, and then both you and I could be happy.</p>