Hi

Anyone has experience on processing Era films? Just got some and tested @100ISO

and developed it in Rodinal 1/100 at 20? in 28 minutes. Soaking it for a minute

to start with. It came out very dense although my exposure was quiet right on

indoor control lighting situation. I have done two of the same images one with

sun lit the other under soft floresence lighting. Aggitating little as possible

(read on a forum that it can dense very quick). Now the trick is that I have

used a Patterson tank with the centre column in it. I don't think it got fogged

when I look at the image the details are there but over all it looks really dark

and dense all around. I tried to scan but the scanner picked up very little

detail, although it is only a flat bed without transparency adaptor. I have

scanned TRI-X400 with it and it was okay to see as a proof.

If anyone has an experience with this film I would appreciate it. Don't wish to

try and burn too many of the sheet films as they are worth every penny these days.

Thanks

From the image you've posted, the film looks to be either over exposed, over developed, or both. I looked for some more technical information from the manufacturer here: http://www.chinastera.com/English/ERA1/English_product4.htm. Well, there isn't much there so I looked around a little more. A few reports suggest treating the film pretty much as you would FP4+. That sounds like a logical course of action to me. There is plenty of technical information about processing FP4+ available. You might want to try that for starters, rather than messing around with stand development which often doesn't work all that well. As usual, make your adjustments in small increments from there until you get what you want.

Dear Frank

Thanks for your answer. I have been digging out myself all day. Yes, FP4+ alike film and suggested Rodinal 1/50 on 15 minutes at20ᄚ. According to FP4+ you can go upto 1.5 stop over exposing it and still gert good results (What Ilford says!). However I had two images one which is this one that has been lit by Sun and the other indoor under FL. Contrast makes the finla image look different however I don't why it got densed so much despite a minimum aggitation. I think I will take your advice and try the given guide of 1/50 instead 1/100. I'll see if any thing improves.

I will post you on that.

Thanks

Kurtay

Dear Larry

Thanks for your input too. From the images you have clipped it seems as if the conditions were quiet soft contrast when photographed the scene. Perhaps even towards the late afternoon. It might be the reason for it. Try the same speed under sunlit situation.

Kurtay