www.rolleifilm.com

I have read on apug that Ilford is experimenting with a 25 speed b&w film. Presumably it would have finer grain than the already good Pan F+ which has a rating of 50. The question is whether a lower speed setting has any advantages if the grain and sharpness are about the same. This was Kodak's position when TMX was on the scene and Panatomic-X was discontinued. The kind of photos you might take with a film as slow as 25 or 50 in 35mm size could also be taken with a medium format camera with film in the 100-125 speed range. In this case the results from the medium format camera and the faster film would look better. For now medium format equipment is very cheap but we have to wonder how much longer medim format film will be made.

It is true that document film has extrememly fine grain and that films like TMX and ACROS are not quite as easy to use as PF4+ or Plus-X but a film like Pan F+ still has its place and I still miss Panatomic-X.

I celebrated the last New Year in Rio de Janeiro and had an

opportunity to see different and nice things. For example exotic

woods always fascinated me.

If those Maco-Rollei boxes are made from Angelim Rajado

(family of zebra woods) I go for it.

I can even throw an extra 50 bukcs if Rollei hand makes me a

box from Cocobola wood. In this case I just go for the empty box,

no film please.

In the meantime I am awaiting an Agfa-Maco-Rollei product.

Hello Larry!

How comes, that the ROLLEI films are so much cheaper in Europe, than in the USA?

The ROLLEI films is offered for different target groups, in different service packs. Who informs himself NOT in the Web page: www.mahn.net, it can quite happen, that he draws hasty conclusions. Who informs himself, however, will recognize, that the film offer covers both, a wooden box, and in addition, TRAYS! These are naturally comparatively offered more inexpensive, as like FUJI and ILFORD, also as PROFESSIONAL PACKS.

A price example: The AGFA APX 100, packed as ROLLEI RETRO 100, cost as Professional Pack in 30 ea. pieces of film, Euro 2.09 = USD 2.71, by a single film 135-36. As Roll film (yes, AGFA APX 100 film!)in the Professional Pack of 100 ea.films, Euro 2.70 = USD 3.51 by a single film 120.

Thank you.

Wolf

Hi Jeff,

It's true that Simon Galley (one of Ilford's managing directors no less) has revealed that they have done some research around an ISO 25 Delta film.

I believe, however, that Ilford is only considering this for sheet film sizes. At least for now. In any case, no decision has been made yet as to whether it will be produced or not.

I agree with Dan. At worst, if you don't like it - don't buy it.

I'm convinced that collaboration between specialized retailers (Wolf's outfit, Fotoimpex, Freestyle, J&C, etc.) and manufacturers are going to be essential to keep film and paper available for more than the next several years.

Sometimes I wonder why retailers even bother showing up on these forums if all we give them is verbal abuse....

They deserve our thanks even if you decide they do not deserve your cash.

Now I hear that when we buy Rollei films we will get not only a

precious wooden box, but also trays. How about a Christmas

tree?

I am thinking perspectively. The next year is just around the

corner.

Frankly, it is poor marketing. First of all we have Rollei famous

equipment company but not a chemical one, offering a blend of

someone else products (Maco) and they double charge you for

this; first Rollei, then + Maco. In addition we are offered some

bundles of wooden boxes and trays. C'mon be sensible!

PS. Contrary to some voices above, I am not worried that the

traditional photographic market will disappear.

That's one hell of a "head" on the middle leg... I wonder what would happen if it was shoved into a Rollei "box?!"

[i can't believe how Larry THAT one up!]

-----------------------------

Q: do you wrap a hamster in gaffer's tape?

A: So it won't explode when you f*** it!

One of the reasons I have not yet tried 'Rollei' film is because of the box. If they have to give you a nice box to get you to buy the film then the film is probably not worth buying.

Why pretend its a fine cigar? Nobody I know sits around 'fondling film'. What are we supposed to do with it, put it open in a display case for guests to admire? Just more junk to toss. No thanks!

vic... :)

ROLLEI films are sold world-wide very successfully. But not because of cheap prices. Separate, because of a quality, which differs partially totally, fundamentally, from the good films. The largest users of ROLLEI films, are natural scientific research academies, material test offices, universities, academies, and the fastidious photographer, which apart from the very good photographic result, also still wants parameters, such as excessive long durability (LE500), special back coatings, such as anti-Newton- and anti-curling-coating. He is gladly ready to pay more for a ROLLEI film. The price, is the SUM of all peculiarity! And, who is been versed with a calculation of packaging, he knows, that the price of a wooden box is only one question of the produced number. ROLLEI films are produced in such large quantities, that the price for a in Germany produced wooden box, is not substantially more expensive, as a printed paper folding box, within the same quantity.