Ilford SFX 200 is back

Just noticed this on the Ilford site, and haven't seen a posting on it, so:

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/pressroom/article.asp?n=64

"HARMAN technology has received thousands of requests from customers to return

the ILFORD SFX 200 film to the ILFORD Photo film range.

We are pleased to announce that the product will be relaunched Worldwide during

March 2007 in 135 - 36 exp cassettes and in the 120 format, in addition a

special pack containing 3 x ILFORD SFX 200 135 - 36 and a COKIN "P" SFX filter

will be made available. ILFORD SFX 200 will become a ?MOD? MANUFACTURE ON DEMAND

item, where the film is manufactured on an approximately annual basis to ensure

the highest quality of manufacture.

Availability in individual markets is dependent on shipping times, but is likely

to be in early March for the UK, mid March for European and Nordic markets,

April for North America and May for the Far East, Australia and New Zealand."

That's great news. I have been following the resurrection of SFX for the past 8 months. Most of the info has been over at APUG.org, but I'm glad you posted it here. It's a rare thing to see a film broight back these days. Let's hope people get out and support Ilford Harman by buying it.

I've used both Rodinal and HC-110 for my SFX and I can't see any difference the stuff is so grainy, but that's it's charm as well.

Last I heard about Delta 25 was that Ilford was considering it, but it would be a new film, that means lots of R&D time and money. Bringing back SFX is one thing, but a new film is quite an effort.

Ilford already has Pan-F. Would Delta 25 be reduntant? That's one of the questions Ilford has to answer. You could ask Simon Galley, the Ilford rep, directly. He's often on apug.org.

SFX 200 is a medium speed black and white camera film for creative photography. It has

extended red sensitivity and is especially suited for use with a filter to create special effects.

By using the ILFORD SFX filter skies can be rendered almost black and most green vegetation

almost white. Its unusual tonal rendition ensures interesting results for a range of subjects,

including portraits, landscapes, townscapes and architecture.

Jim, I think the issue with Pan F was it couldn't be produced in sheet films, where if they go ahead with a Delta 25 it would be. D3200 in sheet film was also discussed and might have been added to the 'maybe' list. Of course my memory could be hazy... check APUG for the discussion.

• 2 months later...