shooting slides in Hearst Castle

Has anyone here shot slides inside Hearst Castle recently? Would Ektachrome

Tungsten 320, maybe pushed to 640 or 800, be appropriate? They make a big

deal about not permitting any flash photos or tripod shots indoors on the

tours, so I need to make the shots hand held, and get the color right (or as

close to right as possible.)

Thank you for any advice.

OK

Last time I was there was in 1972 I shot GAF 500 fastest slide film at the time but it was saylight and grainey as an Iowa farm. with a Pentax Spotmatic....I wish I had had a stop faster and a way to correct for all the old Tungston lighting but I got the images.... There are alot of areas with open lighting but not alot...If you insist on Slids and don't mind grain A Tungston pushed 1 stop should work but maybe a mono pod and a real fast 35mm or 28mm lens? All I had at that time was a 1.4 55mm and I wish I had more speed.

Larry

When <a href="http://www.tedsimages.com/text/hcastle.htm">I was there in 2001</a>, I used my normal (at the time) Supra 400 negative film which Dale Labs printed as slides. I don't know if that counts as "slide film." I found that the combination of dim lighting and the relentless assembly-line pace enforced by the tour guides made indoor shooting next to impossible, with <a href="http://www.tedsimages.com/text/hcindp.htm">one exception that turned out well</a>. I don't know that an 800-speed film would have been enough to make a significant difference.

<p>My advice is to choose a tour time in the late afternoon, and use that light to advantage outdoors where shooting is much easier.

I feel your pain regarding the anti-flash thing. I was just there but I shot with a Canon Powershot Pro1 (at ISO 100, midday, for simplicity. At times the tour docents can be almost Nazi-like. Another fellow on our tour was banished to the bus because he couldn't figure out how to turn off the flash (new camera, RTFM only if you have problems).

TH

If you want slides, push Provia 400F one stop to 800. If you can, try to get some of Fuji's new Provia 400X. The film is made for pushing. Even better than 400F from everything I have heard about it, and for lower light shots, I don't think any other slide film will beat it.<BR><BR>

By the way, nice to see you sticking to your guns on this one. There's just something awesome about slides. Someday I'll have to get a bunch of mine uploaded to my gallery - out of all my favorite shots I've taken, most were on slide film.<BR>

Jed