Filter size for Yashica Mat-124G

joobass

Yesterday a close friend of mine gave me a Yashica mat-124G TLR that he found

among his fathers relics. he siad he didn't want it sold, but he has no use

for it and he knew I like collecting cameras especially the Old RF and TLR's

so he handed it over to me. But it had no filters, can anyone give me

information on the size of the filter is use's. form the look of it it looks

like Bay I size but not sure. Thank you.

P.S. I never thought I would find this camera here in Korea.

Bay 1 (also called Bay 30) filters and other lens accessories might be hard to find these days as I believe no camera manufacturer has been producing cameras using this size for many a year. But there are still tens of thousands of Rolleiflex, Yashica, Autocord, Diacord and other classic TLRs floating around.

Good condition Rollei filters and hoods can be pricey as well as hard to come by, so what you may want is a Bay 1 to 49mm adapter ring. These will allow you to use the commonly available screw-in filters.

And congratulations for the Yashicamat; it is a superb piece of fine photographic engineering from back in the era when the word "quality" meant something. There is no plastic camera made today that can compare with a classic TLR. None. Your photography will never be the same again.

I agree with the info and suggestions re Bay 1 or B30. The lens hood is very important for all TLRs but surely for the Yashica line. Without one you will get lens flare unless the sun is directly behind you. According to a lens test I reviewed the sweet spot of the Yashinon lens is f-16 followed by f-11 and f-22. Another suggestion not mentioned is the use of a tripod. Most of the great shot taken with most TLRs were while on a tripod. The TLR is best suited for scenery, architecture and other stationary shooting. In a controlled situation (a studio) or using a flash the were the workhorse for professional photographers shooting portraits, weddings and passport photos. Another tip is the original battery, a 1.3V mercury, is no longer sold. The only 1.3V sold is called a Zinc-Air and are sold by Wein (made in China). With regards to using a Bay 1 / 48mm adapter there is a major draw back? the lens hood will not fit. The Bay 1 / B30 filters can be found and many of the Rollei filters allow for stacking of filters (using more than one. I have found almost every filter I will ever need: Rollei: Soft 0, Soft 1, UV, B-2, Light blue, green and red. Walz: Light yellow, 85C. Hoya NDX2. Minolta Autopole dual polarizing filter. Good luck with your search.

Tom O?Brien ? www.kelticknot.com (photos with Yashicas at: Old Camera ? Renewed Hobby)

Just a couple of things....

I have a lens hood that says "accura" on it, and it does not work on my Yashica-MAT 124G. It fits the Bay 1 mount, but causes severe vingetting. Avoid this brand.

Also, for filters, I've had success with simply holding a big filter from my SLR in front of the taking lens. You just have to be careful.

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone. For those just getting into or acquiring a Rollei/Yashica TLR, there is a good selection of accessories for these cameras (filter, adapters, hoods, etc) at

www.camera-depot.com/TLR .. Also, run a bunch of searche's of prior postings on the various B-30 componet's of these cameras...ton's of good info... Enjoy, Bill

• 4 months later...
The 30mm bayonet filters and hood that came with my father-in-law's Semflex Otomatic seem to work fine on my Yashica Mat. No obvious vignetting when putting the hood on the viewfinder lense; still haven't have a film processed from this camera, so I can't tell you wether the final result will be satisfactory.

• 12 years later...