SLR infrared conversion

aubrey_haynes

I'm not really a digital person, but I'll chime in here becuase I have friends that are big into digital-IR. According to what I have *heard*, the key is to remove the IR cutoff filter that is inside the camera. Some sources that I've seen have repaced the filter with glass, while others have just left it out all together. I asked around just now, and no one I could find knows of any company that provides this service. They also told me that some cameras are just too dificult to work with...

Here are some links that I was given on this subject

http://www.cocam.co.uk/CoCamWS/Infrared/INFRARED.HTM#infrared%20books

http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/mainpage.htm

http://www.cocam.co.uk/CoCamWS/Infrared/INFRARED.HTM#MACO

- Randy

more questions not answers.

from reading Kodak's infrared manual and articles in photo mags about color IR photography, I am somewhat familiar with the expected results.

and i was told and i tried flashing out IR tv remote at my wife's olympus c750-uz. yes it can see the ir led flashing.

so what is needed? my wife's camera sees IR just fine.

what is missing? do you add a darkred ( red 25a)filter as you used to do with

B&W ir photography. seems like this would be a mistake with any kind of slr or dslr. you may see nothing thru the viewfinder.

the olympus c750 has a TV type not an optical viewfinder.

so it is a 'sort of" non interchangable lens DSLR.

so maybe it would see an image thru a dark red filter, but what about correct exposure?

Walter, think of IR photography as not just the ability to record the spectrum, but how do you eliminate the visible spectrum to make IR more obvious. That's what filters do. I recommend using something like a Hoya RM72. You can find them relatively inexpensively on fleabay. For a bit more money you can buy an RM92. They effectively eliminate visible light while allowing IR to pass through. The 92 eliminates more visible spectrum than the 72.

• 3 months later...

You can shoot IR with most digital cameras, it's just a matter of exposure lenghts. With different dSLRs you can get fastest shutters on a sunny day anywhere from 1/3 sec (Nikon D50) to maybe 100s (EOS 5d).. Most point-and-shoots work faster, usually the older model - the faster.

Modification just makes it possible to shoot hand-held at fast shutters. I know of www.lifepixel.com and www.maxmax.com doing it. There are also DIY tutorials for some cameras on the web.

I converted a Canon G2 myself and it's a magic machine :) see my portfolio for some examples.

Sigma dSLRs have a removable ccd cover that blocks IR and they can be easily converted back and forth to IR and Visible.

Oly 750 is great for IR. if you put the hoya r72 filter on and set the custom WB, it will make pretty nice pics straight out of it. Most cameras' IR pics really need some PS work. Auto exposure is no problem with compacts, on dSLRs you need to shoot manual.

The latter differ much between each other in regards of IR. Nikons d70, d70s, d50 and the old d1 series are the nicest to work with un-converted.