Grainy Film

Greetings Sebastian: Higher speed b&w films tend to be grainy by virtue of their increased silver content. It seems you're on the right track with films like HP5. Tri-x, my favorite b&w film, has wide exposure latitude and can appear to be quite grainy even when exposed at 400 when it's processed in warmer developers, even D-76. Try pushing Tri-X to say 1600 or even 3200 and take a look at it when processed in Acufine. Also, the higher the magnification in terms of print size, the greater the grain will appear. Films rated at 3200 ISO can look pretty grainy too, especially when pushed to 6400.

And, btw, if you transfer a normal b&w neg to orthographic / lithographic film, you can get some really unique strictly pure black and pure white effects with large grain structure.

Take it light.

Mark Feldstein

big grain:

-small film (35mm)

-fast film (traditional 400's or the Delta/Tmax3200)

-push by a stop or two

-develop in Rodinal (low dilution like 1+25 or even 1+10) or Dektol (yes its a paper developer, yes it will work).

-print big, print CONTRASTY. very high contrast brings out grain.

I've been following that path last months and my best advice is a mix of all the above.

Small format, Delta3200 or TMZ in quite diluted rodinal, say 1+50 or 1+100. The more diluted the better, but you must respect a minimum amount of the stock solution of Rodina. If you just want grain and not lots of contrast don't push the film. Diluted rodinal will make you lose a whole stop (regarding the former films you'll be around 400) but you will see nice little balls forming the image. You will have to tune the combination but I do think you will like the results! Try it for portraits and landscapes.

Javi,

With Rodinal (at least in my experience) the dilution vs grain relationship is quite opposite to your advice; high dilution, smaller, less distinct grain(1+50, 1+100). Low dilution, big grain.

With most developers (such as D76 or Perceptol) the relationship is quite opposite.

I like grain too. Grain is our friend and grain is a darn sight more pleasing in a photo than pixels. However, I have never won a photo contest with a grainy photo, mildly grainy or wildy grainy. A real shame I know. I guess most judges can't get past the sharp and smooth look, which is why so many digital photos win.

Still, I shoot all kinds of film and live grainy films a lot. 3200Tmax gets shot a lot.

Dave

• 1 year later...