elliotspirrett

OK this is a street/people project I quite fancy going at and I would like

some feedback.

I would like to photodocument (is that even a word?) the different tribes we

have in modern day society. I'm thinking all kinds of social groups and

people... Young and old, rich and poor, another category and it's relevant

synonim...

So how would you suggest going about this? Does anyone have a method which

they go through before starting a project?

Also would you prefer to see candid shots or aranged shots? And then, if

aranged - by me or by the people themselves (that would probably give a more

acurate representation).

The inspiration for this sort of span off from hit film City of God. If you

haven't seen this I suggest you do!

So any thoughts tips and ideas for equipment needed would be nice - films,

filters and I guess lenses being most important...

Cheers

Spirit.

I have done a limited amount of this, given that I have good connections with numerous Native American friends and my girlfriend is Sioux. However, I think the concept has been done many times before. What would be nice is mixing an "in the life of" type street photography series with formal portraits. Often NAs live very different, impoverished lives on the reservation, but when they get together to celebrate, they wear beautiful costumes. The dichotomy between everyday life and the celebration of life would be another interesting theme to explore.

I'd shoot it in medium or large format (for any portraits you do). Do you know a lot about NA culture? If not, I'd say that's the one place I would start. But I would also work on how the generations relate to each other, like portraits of 3 to 4 generations of women. It also takes some mind bending with this culture because they are very proud, they hold their ancestors with high regard and respect, and women are celebrated and strong.

It's easiest to start with something familiar.

I looked at your profile, and you posted a picture with "Portsmouth" on a sign. Is that where you are from? If so, then a typical day/week/month in the life of residents would be a good start -- Obviously, given Portsmouth's maritime history, the dockyard and Royal Navy would play a prominent role in your project, as would your football club.

Just a suggestion...

<i>Also would you prefer to see candid shots or aranged shots? And then, if aranged - by me or by the people themselves...</i><p>It depends on what you want to do, what you want to show or find out, and what you want to spend your time doing. It's your project.

I agree with Ray. What is it you want to say? If you juxtapose a child in a stroller with an elederly person in a wheelchair, then you will be making a comment. If you put together a shot of a group of goth girls with a group of mall girls then again you a presented a certain POV.

I had much rather see a good documentary about a woman who has ten cats than a almost

certain to fail attempt at documenting a complex social subject like modern tribes. Josef

Koudelka has spent forty years attempting to document the Gipsies and was able to do his

book EXILIS because he was one at the time. One need access and some degree of

acceptance. People are not all that comfortable having someone with a camera poking

around in there lives.

I don't think young and old, rich and poor, etc should be regarded as tribal divisions. So I'm not trying to be clever, Spirit, but a good start would be to understand the nature of tribalism a bit better. Reading some anthropology/sociology books. To me, it seems that tribalism is as much alive, and as nasty, today as it ever has been. Look for evidence of exclusion, ritual, devices to promote unity, declarations of identity.

It's a funny thing, but if you start thinking about what you are doing like this, the camera, lens, filters and film will begin to seem utterly irrelevant.

"ribes as in social groups..."

I feel smarter then the rest now, I got that off that bat.

Reading this line sort of summed it up:

"the different tribes we have in modern day society. I'm thinking all kinds of social groups and people... Young and old, rich and poor, another category and it's relevant synonim... "