PC-TEA vs MYTOL for HP5+/Tri-X in 135/120 format

michael_madio

I'm almost out of chemicals so I'm taking the opportunity to re-tool my darkroom

and have decided to go with home brew solutions. I've got fixer, stop, and print

developer down but am stuck on the film developer. I'm seriously looking at

either PC-TEA or MYTOL but can't really decide wich one to go with. I shoot 135

and 120 format predominantly with HP5+ or Tri-X developed in D-76 or XTOL at

EI's all over the place as required. Enlargements are on Ilford Multigrade RC

using a dichro head and VC filtering if necessary, generally at 8x10 and

sometimes up to 16x20. Subject matter is varied.

I've been scouring the archives for a while and haven't found anything

conclusive. From what I read, MYTOL is a functional equivalent to XTOL and

should provide similar, if not identical results. I also stumbled across PC-TEA

which sounds interesting, particularly from a simplicity and shelf life

perspective. However, from what I read, PC-TEA does not perform as well as XTOL.

Is my understanding of PC-TEA and MYTOL correct and can anyone provide any input

as to which way I should go?

Your input is greatly appreciated. And yes, I also asked this on APUG.

I've been a long term user of Xtol (never used Mytol, but should be similar). I've recently moved totally to PCTEA. Xtol gives a stop greater speed (on densitometry) with nearly all films. The grain is very fine, but even with pixel peeping on 5400 scans at 100%, there is very little to choose between pctea and Xtol.

Making pctea is simple. It lasts forever (Xtol doesn't) and it's a lot cheaper. I've standardised all films on it. I use it at 1:100 which is even cheaper and at 24c times are reasonable.

the amount of developer and sulphite in Xtol is huge compared to the simplicity of pctea. I'm much happier with one small bottle of pctea that lasts as long as I want, rather than 5x1litre bottle of xtol which goes off before I finish it (I used 1+2).

No contest as far as I'm concerned.

One final point. My negs are hugely cleaner using a liquid deveoper rather than one mixed from powder. I used to think spots were from fixer, but even filtered you get a lotof spots from undissolved powder in xtol. Less spotting is always better.

Is This the "current" recipe for PC-TEA? - From APUG.ORG :

TEA is short for triethanolamine, an organic liquid solvent and base. It will dissolve most of our developing agents to an extent useful in making concentrated stock solutions. It does not become basic until water is added.

100 ml TEA

9 g ascorbic acid (erytorbic acid, AKA isoascorbic acid works as well)

.225 g phenidone

Heat this mixture to about 160 F and stir till it dissolves. It will stay dissolved after it cools. If it gets a brown color, don't be worried. TEA by itself turns brown upon sufficient heating. At 160, it shouldn't be any darker than HC110 concentrate.

This concentrate is diluted 1+25 or 1+50 for use on film. I don't want to brag too much, but it's pretty good stuff. Note that there is no sulfite. If you think there should be, add it to the working solution, but try it without sulfite first.

NOTE: The thread I read on apug.org had 2.25 g phenidone, but was corrected to .225.

That is pretty much the current recipe. I put 0.2g of potassium bromide as an anti-foggant, but that is optional. There are no problems using it a 1:100, apart from longer developing times.

To make, just use a pyrex jug and a microwave, no need to measure temperature. 2 mins on high, then dissolve vit C, then another minute and dissolve phenidone. Allow to cool (it gets seriously hot) and put in a brown glass bottle. 100ml develops 33x35mm films, so it's very cheap.

I mixed up PC-TEA by pouring the TEA into a stainless steel measuring cup. The cup goes into a shallow aluminum pan and I then carefully pour boiling water into the pan without splashing any into the TEA. After a few minutes the TEA is hot enough for adding the ascorbic acid and then the phenidone. I saw crystals in the solution but poured it into bottle anyway and the crystals dissolved on standing after about an hour. The TEA and ascorbc acid keep the phenidone active a lot longer than sulfite. My times were longer than those of others and this might be because I used a little more ascorbic acid than the recipe calls for. I still have and use Ilford Microphen and I find it works very well with TMY and TMY. My favorite film with PC-TEA? Ilford FP4+.