Agfa APX 100

db1

I would also recommend Plus-X but for some reason I more often than not have problems with airbells with Plus-X than I do with any other film. It's most likely my technique but the same technique is ok for other films. Anyway, I think you should try Plus-X because it really is a lovely film. Also, I think you should not forget about Tri-X. Rated at 200 or 160 it is quite fine grained and retains the Tri-X look that many photographers enjoy. I suppose it depends on what characteristic of APX 100 you are trying to find a replacement for.

Steve

Regarding the Plus-X and airbells: I have found that this film seems to be more sensitive to initial agitation in that failing to agitate thoroughly at the onset of development results in a higher probability of complications compared to other films I have used. While I never had problems with airbells, I have had issues with streaking and weird development patterns when using reduced agitaion menthods. These problems usually occur in the very early stages of development and once I agitated more vigorously during the initial phase the problems where solved. I never had this happen with FP4 or APX 100 so perhaps it has something to do with certain additives or hardening agents Kodak uses which causes the film to absorb developer more slowly IDK. At any rate this film is capable of superb results and I don't hesitate to use it when I don't have my favorite film (FP4+) on hand.

Ilford nas NOTHING which looks as near to Agfa as Agfa. The only other film would be Fomapan 100. The Foma films have the closest tonal pallette to APX than any other.

Check with Mirko @ Fotoimpex or Robert @ Fotohuvis (sp). Even their site lists Foma as the closest match.

I agree with Joe S. If you search the web you'll find quite a few references (especially, if you can read German) that state that Fomapan 100 was developed in the early 90's in accordance with a licensing of Agfa emulsion technology.

There are lots of people who have suggested Efke PL 100 is a close match, too, but I don't really agree.